Sunday, October 08, 2006

"The Butterfly Effect" Meme

My very first meme!! How exciting!!!

I've been tagged by Asha of Foodie's Hope.
She was the very first person to comment on my blog and has been returning and checking my posts ever since. After publishing each post, I always look forward to hearing from her! :-) Thank you, my dear cyber pal, for the encouragement you gave me with your comments. I really appreciate it! :-D

I understand that Dan@saltshaker.net started this meme and that we should send this MeMe and link to the original post - http://www.saltshaker.net/20060630/the-butterfly-effect

The tag says "The Butterfly Effect Meme" asks you to name food items or events that changed your foodie life. Specifically you are asked to recall “an item, person, event, or place” that affected you profoundly – something that created a moment you can look back at and say “that was a defining moment.” It doesn’t have to be “big, splashy” things! Just something or someone who influenced you!"
The categories are:
1. An ingredient
2. A dish, a recipe
3. A meal (in a restaurant, a home, or elsewhere)
4. A cookbook or other written work
5. A food “personality” (chef, writer, etc.)
6. Another person in your life
(Above copied verbatim from Asha's meme)

An Ingredient: Oh, the very versatile egg! Love it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Love it in all forms! Well, almost all. I know of someone who drinks milk with a raw egg mixed in! Can't do that!! My favorite is the egg bhurji made in this little shop down the road from my college.
You can't go wrong with eggs. Whenever I'm out of ideas or inspiration, eggs always come to my rescue. Bhurji, omelettes, frittatas, "bulls eye", salad, boiled or poached, eggs are my best friend!

A Dish: Hands down, my mom's Besan Halwa. It is absolutely delicious!! I'm not that much of a sweets person but this is something I can eat anytime day or night and sometimes, even in the middle of the night! Click here for the recipe.

A Meal: Chicken Biryani with sherva & onion raita at any Andhra restaurant in Bangalore! This biryani is different from the more famous Hyderabadi Biryani. I'm not sure how it's cooked and what spices are added but it is drier and you don't see the layers like you do in a regular biryani. Sherva is a thin gravy that I believe is made with chicken. I don't know if this kind of biryani is available only in Bangalore but I haven't been able to find this in any Andhra restaurants here.

A Cookbook: There are quite a few. In particular is a book titled "365 Great 20-minute Recipes" by Beverly Cox. It features easy and quick recipes and I'm all for simplicity! Though I like to cook, I don't necessarily want to toil over the stove for hours on end unless I'm in the mood (which I confess, does not happen often!). So this book works well for me!

A Food Personality: My favorite is Rachel Ray. She is fun & so full of life. She can be a little too perky sometimes though! I enjoy her "30 Minute Meals" shows. I like to cook but do tend to take help from the store whenever I can and try to find ways to cook faster, while not losing out on flavor. Her show gives me tips on easier cooking and time management. These days she seems to be everywhere though. She has 4 shows on Food Network the last time I counted and even has her own talk show on ABC. I hope the overexposure will not wane her popularity.

Another person in your life: My dear hubby. He claims he likes to cook and would like to cook often. The last time he cooked anything was about a year ago! He makes a really good chicken curry. Will post it the next time he makes, which might be a month from now or a year or never!! :-)

I tag: Jayashree of Luvgoodfood for this meme.

That's it! My very first meme!! Thanks, Asha! It was fun! You made me think hard!! :-)

6 comments:

Foodie's Hope said...

Thanks Vani!!I am glad I found your blog too! I appreciate taking up the tag and doing it very well too! Loved reading it!
There are somany Tamil,Telugu and Kerala bloggers but very few from K'taka!When I find any,I just latch on so they don't stop blogging!:)
Thanks again!Put your husband to work this weekend for Biryani!:D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for tagging me, Vani. Will take it up soon.

Vani said...

Hey Asha! I do appreciate all your inputs to my blog. Yeah, I noticed the fewer K'diga food bloggers too. Why is that, I wonder..
Hubby tells me that he might yet surprise me with a dish. I'm waiting... :-)

Deepak Gopi said...

Hi from a avid viewer of cookery programmes on T.V

Vani said...

Hey Jayashree! Thanks for taking up the tag!

Hi Deepak! Welcome to my blog. I'm looking forward to reading yours!

Deepak Gopi said...

hi Vani Thanks for the visit.
Thanks for the visit.
I will always visit here to know more about mouthwatering recipies .
All the best
Good Day.