Thursday, October 12, 2006

Carrot and Beans Palya

Carrot Beans Palya


I love palyas (cooked vegetables without gravy) because they are usually very easy to prepare. They can be had with rotis or just plain white bread or as a side with rice and saaru(a thin sambar). This particular version of carrot and beans palya can be mixed with rice and a little bit of ghee and it tastes divine!


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups chopped Green Beans
1 1/2 cups chopped Carrots
2-3 Tbsp shredded Coconut
4-5 green chillies/serrano peppers
1 Tbsp chopped Cilantro
1 Tbsp Lime juice
Salt to taste
For Tempering:
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1 Tbsp Oil
A pinch of Asafoetida

Method:
Grind the shredded coconut and green chillies together.
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric. When the seeds splutter, add the carrots & beans and fry for a few minutes. Add salt. Cover and cook on low heat till well cooked.
Add the ground paste and fry for a few minutes. Add the lime juice.
Garnish with chopped cilantro.

7 comments:

shruti said...

it looks yummy....

Prema Sundar said...

Looks nice and is different from the way I make.Thanks for the recipe

Foodie's Hope said...

Another good and healthy recipe!!
Always nice to see the some recipes in ur blog!!:))
Want some Rajma?!;D

Vani said...

Shruti - Thx for visiting!

Prema - Do post your recipe. I love to try variations of dishes!

Asha - I'll try to post more recipes! I have a few recipes ready but the photos are so bad that I'll have to post the recipes when I make them again next! I really need to work on my photography skills!!
Rajma, eh? Will check your blog!

varsha said...

Hi vani ,
I am a fan of ur blog now. Ever since i tried this carrot palya recipe, i have become ur fan. i want to try rest of ur vegetarian recipes too. i disliked cooked carrots a lot but after trying this recipe, i cudnt believe that carrots can be tasty when cooked in a proper way.

jag said...

great dish to go with pulkas,puri and pickle.
jagdish

gauti said...

Was remembering my mum today, but it was late to wake her up to ask for a recipe. Your blog helped me and for the first time my food tasted very good :0) Thanks a lot, I hope to try out your other recipes.

Regards,
Goutham