Monday, October 16, 2006

Dor - My Movie Review (Updated!)




Guys, don't miss this movie! Nagesh Kukunoor has outdone himself as a writer and director of this film. I can't understand why this movie has not received more attention from the media. This should have been our Oscar entry, I sincerely think! The subject is a far cry from the usual run of the mill storylines that Bollywood can't seem to churn enough of. It deals with two women from very different backgrounds whose paths are intertwined and the emancipation of one from a ghunghat clad, subservient widow to a strong willed person who stands up for herself & demands answers for the double standards that tie her down. Gul Panag and Ayesha Takia are a revelation as actors. Their performances are outstanding! It is refreshing to see a Hindi movie where actresses are not caked with make-up, there's no over-the-top acting and a very down-to-earth story told in a realistic way. Don't miss this one!

Updated on 10/17/06: Whenever I've seen a movie that somebody else raved about, I have invariably felt a little let down. Mainly because my expectations would be high and the movies would always fall short. So I felt that I have to provide a balance in my review with the things that were not so good about Dor. So here goes.
The pace gets a little slow and the movie drags at times. Nagesh Kukunoor's character(he plays a small role) seems out of place and rather superfluous. Shreyas Talpade, who provides comic relief in an otherwise serious movie, gets very annoying with his excessive mimicry. That apart, I still say Dor is a must-see! It is not often that a film of this caliber gets made in Hindi cinema. So, go get it, folks!

12 comments:

Foodie's Hope said...

Looks like a artsy movie, it won't probably run successfully commercially! I would love to see this movie though!

You know what film they sent for Oscar?!!:D Munnabhai Lage Raho!! EWWW!!! To Oscar!! Shameful!!

Anonymous said...

DO u know this is a copy of a Malayalam movie.. "perumazhakalam" with the main protagonists being a Namboothiri brahmin girl and a muslim girl..Nice story but a tear jerker.

Nee said...

Asha, India's official entry to the Oscars is Rang De Basanti - not Lage Raho. Lage Raho is being sent separately by the producer Vinod Chopra, based on the popularity of the movie.

Shaheen, I think the Malayalam film itself was based on a true story, wasn't it? I think I remember reading an interview where Nagesh Kukunoor stated the same - that he got the idea from a Malayalam movie which was based on a true story.

I am in two minds about watching this - I believe that it's a really good movie, but I think it can also be a tear-jerker, if I am not mistaken?

Foodie's Hope said...

Thank God for Rang de Basanti!! Still embarassing abt that Munna bhai, stuff! Yuck!!

Vani said...

Asha- I think u'll like it. let me know if/when u do watch!

Shaheen-did not know there was a Malayalam movie to. I know it's loosely based on a real incident.

Nee-I wouldn't classify it as a tear jerker. Yes, it is a little heavy on emotions at times but it balances with lighter moments.

Tanushree said...

hey i think i should watch it now..

will see when im gonna have time for this...

Vani said...

Thanks for dropping by, Tanushree! Hope u'll enjoy the movie as much as I did! :-)

aleskandrany said...

i can't watch it, because it's not offer here in Germany :-(((

Vani said...

Thanks for dropping by, Aleskandrany! You may be able to find this movie in an Indian store in Germany. Make sure u get one with subtitles though! :-)

Anonymous said...

Yep its a remake of malayalam movie but it is bsed upon a true story. its really agud film

Phani Bhaskar said...

Hello Vani,

I am fan of Nagesh Kuknoor, I really liked Dor. One of the best movies from this director, also Theen Dewaren from the same director was also very good, hope you have that one. BTW:I have sister with the same name Vani.

Best Wishes.

Phani

Vani said...

Hi Phani,

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I ahve not watched Teen Deewarein - will be sure to get it soon! Say Hi to your sis Vani from me! :)