Friday, May 04, 2007

Hurali Saaru & Palya




Horsegram (hurali, whole muthira, kuleeth, ulavalu) has a very unique flavour and I love the taste of it. This recipe here is my mom's and it came out so good! Hurali Saaru and Palya taste great separately but they are traditionally eaten together with rice. Mom also makes a sweet bhaji with jaggery and coconut with this. This falls under the "bassaaru" category, where the water from cooked lentils or greens is turned to a saaru and the lentils or greens turned to a bhaji.

Hurali Saaru
Ingredients:
2 cups boiled hurali/kuleeth
1 medium onion
1 Tbsp coconut powder
2 tsp Saarina Pudi/Sambar Powder
2 Tbsp cilantro chopped
Tadka:
7-8 Curry Leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
A pinch of Asafoetida
1 Tbsp oil

Method:
Grind half a cup boiled hurali along with onion, coconut and sambar powder. Do the tadka and add the ground masala. Sauté for a minute. Add the water that the hurali was boiled in and half of the cilantro. Let it boil for a few minutes. Garnish with leftover cilantro. This is thin, brothy saaru.




Hurali Palya:

Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Do a tadka as above. Add 2 chopped green chillies and 1 medium onion chopped. Fry for a few minutes. Add the boiled hurali, 1 Tbsp coconut powder and mix well. Add salt, chopped cilantro and 1 tbsp of lemon juice.

15 comments:

Asha said...

I LOVE Huruli Saaru and kalu palya.Every saaru pd is different which makes this curry unique.I think you posted Saarin pudi somewhere,will look for it.Looks delicious.

Huhs to M and to you.Hope she makes you something special for Mother's day!;D I know she is a just a baby.

Write about something about mom or being mom at DMC!

DEEPA said...

Hey Vani ..something new i have learnt today ...happy mother day advance ...will surely try out this one soon !!!!!thks for sharing

Sandeepa said...

What happened..are you home ? Thanks for the recipes...the names are unique at least for me :)

Vani said...

Hi Asha- I havent' posted Saarin pudi, just palyada pudi. I ahve to get the recipe from my mom and Ill post that. I just posted a tribute to my mom on DMC. It is an excerpt from what I've published before in my blog. check it up!

Deepa- thanks! Happy mother's day to you too!

Sandeepa- yup, I'm home sick. It's like good ol' days when I could browse for hours! I even posted one on DMC today! :)

trupti said...

Vani...

I can't see the picture...will come back for it!

-trupti

Linda said...

Hi Vani, loved to read the baby update -- she is so adorable!! I'll be trying your horsegram recipes for sure. Now isn't this odd -- I can't see *your* photos here! Looks great in the previous post tho :)

Roopa said...

vani picture kantha illa, will come back later
thanks for the recipe!

Pooja said...

another lovely dish by you Vani ! looks delicious.
your M is so cute and lovely. i feel like holdin her from there and play for a while with her. my love to her... she has got good features too, just like mom ! huh ?
take care and stay tuned
-Pooja

indosungod said...

Vani Hurali Saaru looks really tasty, I cook horsegram often but a different recipe, will give this a try and let you know. Can substitute grated coconut for coconut powder?

Sia's Corner said...

thanks for the recipe vani...i was looking for this. i couldn't find huruli in my ususl indian stores. will look out for this in another punjab store. huruli palya and saaru with garlic tadka is my fav. while writing this i can almost smell its aroma and taste it:)

Vani said...

Trupti- I re-posted the pix. Hope u can see them now! :)

Linda- thanks! Hopefully you should see the pix now :)

Roopa- eega photo kaana bahudu. Hope u come back to check! :)

Poo- How are you babe? I hope packing is going well. Hey, u can hold M when u come here! :)

ISG- Hi! Fresh coconut tastes way better than coconut powder in this recipe. Do try this with garlic tadka, as suggested by Supriya.

Sup-am gonna have to try garlic tadka next time. This was the first tme I made it and have followed my mom's recipe to the T. :)

Truth Fairy said...

First time on your site! I just LOVVEE Huruli Saru and Palya. I make it the same way, but without onions and fresh grated coconut for the palya. Of course, the taste will never be the same if you don't use your Mom's sarina pudi! :-)

Truth Fairy said...

That didn't sound right! I meant, I don't use onions in either the saru or palya and I use fresh grated coconut for both.

Taste of Mysore said...

Hi Vani,
Its long time since i made huruli. Thinking of making some after I saw them at your blog. Btw I am from Mysore, currently residing in Singapore. I have started a blog of my own Taste of Mysore. You are welcome.
regards,

Lakshmi

kpks said...

I am from bangalore originally and my neighbour wd feed me this along with raagi mudde.
last time I tried t make this, the whole think became a thick goey mess!

Would you provide clarifications on the first step? How do you boil hurali?

Also, would you participate in my lunchbox challenge?
http://kpks.blogspot.com/2007/06/lunch-box-challenge-aka-please-gauthams.html

Consider it a sorta training before it is your turn ;)

Thx!