Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Recipes from Bloggers

My must-try list of recipes from fellow bloggers is a really long one (and keeps getting longer each day!). I have miles to go before I can try them all but this last week, I took a step in the right direction & tried three recipes that were all super-delicious.


TS's Sooji Dhokla (yes, it is sooji, not besan. It's yellow coz I added too much turmeric!). Also, instead of cutting them into diamonds, I just broke them into pieces. I was very intrigued with her brown-around-the-edges version where she actually fried the dhokla in sesame seeds-mustard seeds tempered oil but I could not wait long enough for the dhokla to brown. Wonderful flavor, T! Thanks for a lovely recipe!


Meera's Masoor Tikhale, made with whole moong instead. Loved the coconut-tamarind-jaggery masala along with the garam masala. Wonderful dish! Another keeper of a recipe. Thank you, Meera!


Soumya's Banana Payasa has been on my must-try list for over a year. This absolutely simple to make sweet dish is absolutely delicious! Thanks, Sowmya!

Thanks to Devipriya and Hetal for the Rockin' Girl Blogger award! You guys rock! :)


I was tagged by Sireesha for this meme. It's called "10 Things I Hate". So here goes -

1. Judgemental Attitude - Who is anybody to judge me for what I do? Especially when it comes to M - how I raise her or whether she talks in English or Kannada or if I choose not to fuss over every little thing is my business. Don't be negative & judgemental & definitely don't discuss what I do/don't do with your cohorts! Leave the judgement to God, lest ye be judged! (Can you tell I really hate this one?!)
2. Incessant Advice-giving - You've heard this from me before! Whether child-rearing, home decor, home improvement, medicine, anything under the sun - they know it all & can't wait to tell you what you should do!
3. Prejudices - black, white, brown, North Indian, South Indian, Dravidian, Aryan, rich, poor - we need to get out of classifying people negatively! There is no such thing as a superior race or a superior caste. The world would be a better place if we just accept everyone as fellow human beings & learnt to love all.
4. The atrocities & double-standards endured by women in the name of tradition, morals & religion. How come those same things don't apply to men?
5. In days of yore, dowry began as a way for a father to provide for his daughter in her time of need & to help the Son-in-Law by sharing the expenses of raising a family. Now it has degenerated into a practice where grooms demand a price (money, gold, car, house etc) for marrying the daughter! And it is directly proportional to his education/work too! Isn't that twisted coz theoritically speaking, the better a groom is placed in life, the better he can provide & therefore the less the bride's father has to? Parents should not have to scrimp & save money or take huge loans just to get daughters married off. Whatever parents want to gift their daughter & SIL (if they chose to receive) should be their call. The tortures & deaths resulting from it's mis-practice (both suicides & murders) say a lot about how horrifying the situation has become!

Ok, I am going to stop now. I'm all riled up! Could not reach 10 - I think I'd pop an artery or something by then! When I started to write this, I was thinking "hate" is such a strong word. Do I really "hate" anything that much? Turns out I do & passionately so, in some cases!

I would rather not sign off on such a heavy note. So let me share a little tip I learnt recently. When you are really sleepy eyed in the mornings (from lack of sleep or having woken up from a very deep sleep), try this- while brushing your teeth, switch to your your non-normal hand (switch to left hand if you are a right-handed person) & brush for 15 seconds. All the sleepiness will be gone by the time you are done brushing! :)

OK, now I can sign off! :)

41 comments:

Jyothsna said...

Phew! That got me riled up too!!:) But loved that tip, will help me on sleepy-eyed days :)

SMN said...

that luks nice..

Sia said...

wohoo... that was some meme girl;) but i know what u said is very true. i will not start discussing at such people or else i'll surely endup with little bad mood;)
and i have to test ur tip coz i need it every morning ;)

Srivalli said...

my thats some meme...I guess we are strongly fee abt that...but that tip is too hilarious ...will get my daughter try it..hhahah..

sowmya said...

my my..hope you are ok ..but yes..i do feel the same when it comes to such things..
loved the tip..might help me !!!:))

Sireesha said...

Nice recipes....yes....i do feel the same when it comes to such things....loved ur tip it will definitely help me....

Asha said...

Hi sweetie, it's okay to vent sometimes, no worries. I know it's hard to manage everything. I remember when my kids were young how hard life was juggling everything.
No 1 and 2, I feel the same way. I hate to be advised or judged by color or region I come from.
Language, we made some decisions when kids were young, I am glad now that we did, no regrets.
Ain't no dowry in my house, never paid Arvind and never paying for my girl. She is too proud of herself and will kick him and his family to the curb!Hahaha!
Dishes are yummy. I love Meera's dishes!:)

indosungod said...

I understand why those things got you all riled up. they do to me too. I love the Sooji Dhokla. brushing with the wrong hand got to try that on sleepy morns:)

Laavanya said...

All the recipes look great, the dhokla with sooji is very intriguing.
Your list of 'things you hate' am sure resonates with quite a few of us!

TBC said...

I don't think I have my "own recipes" anymore! I too cook A LOT from others' blogs.
I have to try out Trupti's sooji dhokla. I've tried the other version a couple of times with excellent results each time.:D

I'm a passionate hater too and can understand why thinking about all this got u all worked up.:D

Roopa said...

That was a very nice meme, you know every bit of it, I am with you:) especially the last one. I think some of my in-laws should read your meme:)) .....

That last tip is too good :) I definitly need that as I have been trying other ways and that doesnt seem to work. Thanks for sharing this tip:)

Vani said...

Jyotsna - That trick works for me :)

SMN - thanks :)

Sia - So many topics we push aside in our minds coz they're unpleasant. I was so upset after I wrote it!! It took me a while to fall asleep after that :) I use that tip almost every morning too! :)

Sri - yeah, that was some meme alright! Like I said before, it took me a while to fall asleep afer writing that at night! :) How cool would that be if it works on kids too - no more sleepy heads! :)

Vani said...

Sowmya - thanks, I'm fine now :) But like you could tell, I wasn't then! :)

Sireesha - thanks for tagging me on that interesting meme. It brought things to fore that I'd just swept aside in my mind.

Asha - I do manage everything just fine & what I can't, I won't let it bother me. But it's the irritating people who don't even have to say anything but just their attitude & look tells all. Ain't no dowry in our house too! It's not even a part of our culture & I remember being shocked when I first read about dowry. It just doesn't make sense anymore! And so sad that some practices that started with purposes that made sense in olden days, are now twisted into these grotesque "traditions" by some.
All dishes were really good. I have so many to go, I can't wait to try! :)

Vani said...

ISG - thanks! I was thinking I was being too harsh at times but some things are just wrong!

Laavanya - thanks!

TBC - he he! thank God for the world of blogging, right? the new recipes, new cuisines all open up a nice new world for us :) Glad you (and many others) feel the same way as I do, TBC!

Roopa - I hope you did not have to go through anything bad! I wish there was a way to make them see the wrong in the whole system. Do try out the tip. It works for me :)

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Hi Vani...
Nice set of recipe. Looks great. YUM!

Pooja said...

I feel the same way for all 5 things you hate Vani. I just cant stand such people and then I feel that I am being much of Me only , and that way I may not be much of a socialize day(which i like actually to be surrounded by good people) person any . But that was also one of the negative thought I had. Now I know that there are many like minded friends around here who feel and think just as me. Pleased that i started blogging. and who cares, its better to be alone then to be surrounded by those people who want to control my life , a big punch to them ha ha ha...

Good dishes around here. I have a long pending list to share which I cook from other buddy blogs. Hope things are fine there. take care . hugs...

masalamagic said...

all three dishes look yummy vani! And love u're meme - i can tell u are passionate about these :-) And loved u're tip -am going to try it :-)

Jeena said...

Great recipes to try they look lovely. :-)

Andhra Flavors said...

Hey Vani,
Nice recipe. All recipes looks great.

Uma said...

All the dishes look delicious Vani! Nice meme too. Congrats on the award.

Vandy said...

I so agree with you on all 5 of them, Vani! All those things get me upset too..

Great tip, I should say and hilarious! never thought of it .. should try it out.

Vaishali said...

Agree completely with you, Vani, especially on dowry. It makes me really mad that even today there are people practicing this terrible system that demeans and disrespects women.

Anonymous said...

First time here and I totally love your blog, and your meme- it's exactly like someone spoke my mind, i've had it with judgmental people, and the inqualities against women and her family in India, though as someone who has seen all this in my mom's life, I should say if it's not for the women in the husband's family whether it's the in-laws, aunts or even brother's wives women will have it much better in India. My mom went through a lot because of my dad's brothers' wives and she lost her life when I was just 11! it's because of people like those you have mentioned here my poor mom lost her life and my life's struggle began there!

Vanamala said...

Lovely vani...

Vani said...

Sukanya- thanks :)

Pooja - I totally believe it is better to avoid people who nasty & negative, if you can! Oprah (do u watch her?) always says to stay away from any relationship that is negative, toxic. I know you cannot avoid every single one of them but we can try to keep as little contact as possible, right?! Oh, please know you are in good company here for thinking the way you do! If ever you want to chat or vent, call/email me, Poo! It helps when u can let off some steam sometimes.

Vani said...

Latha - nice to see you here after a long time! Glad you liked the post :)

Jeena, Andhra Flavors - thanks :)

Uma - thank you :)

Vandy - thanks! The tip sounds funny, doesn't it? but it works (at least for me!) :)

Vaishali - And the sad part is that most are well educated & so called "cultured" folks that do this! It's bad if the groom is directly a part of this but it's as bad when they stand by & watch their brides being harassed & do nothing about it! Something definitely wrong in the thinking process here!

Vani said...

Anonymous- I had tears when I read your comment. I'm so very sorry about your mom. No one should go through so much pain & hurt. And you as a little kid of 11 & losing your mother - I cannot imagine what that must be like for you! You are right- many times, it is other women who makes things worse. You'd think that having been through such nonsense in their lives, they will make sure they won't behave that way but it's the opposite. It's almost like "I went thru it so I want to inflict the same pain or worse on someone else". My best wishes to you. Please leave a comment or email me at mysoorean at gmail dot com, if you need a friend anytime, ok? Hugs to you!

Meera said...

Very thought provoking MeMe.

Thanks for trying my recipe & liking it. :-)

meeso said...

Congratulations on your award! The food looks good, and the meme was nice to read :D

Mallika said...

You get it out there girl. Great tip tho - although looking at my spotty face in the morning usually has the same effect...

Devi Priya said...

Very well said in the meme! way to go girl!

Vani said...

Vanamala - thanks!! :)

Meera- thanks for a lovely recipe! It was delicious! :)

Mallika - you are funny! That's all it'd take me too, if I could really see myself thru my groggy eyes :)

Devipriya- thanks :)

Mrs.SriLekha said...

hi vani
thanks for stopping my blog! but one thing i have to tell u! u dropped comment on my page that i have a daughter. but thats not true! i have only one son alone! he too is just 1 yr and 9 mths old!
congratulations on ur award my dear! how old is ur daughter she is looking good in the pic

Maya said...

All dishes look very good Vani!! You have put in your thgts very well in the Meme..

Sia said...

vaniamma, where is ur entry for MBP-street food? u can send me that sooji dhokla u posted for time being ;)

Nupur said...

Vani, that sooji dhokla looks so delicious! Everything looks good, actually.
I agree with you- the world gives us plenty of things to hate.

Jayashree said...

Vani, b4 I read your meme I too thought that I didn't hate anything....but reading it just made me realise how much I absolutely HATE all those things too....

Vani said...

Srilekha- left youa msg as well. My daughter is almost 2 years old now. Good fun with her chitter chatter. Would love to hear about your son!

Maya- thanks :)

Sia- thanks for the reminder. Propelled me into action & sent u an entry as well! :)

Nupur- thanks ;)

Jayashree- that was exactly how I started off, thinking I really don;t hate anything. Soon I had a LONG list :)

TBC said...

Hey Vani,
I made your apple gojju the other day with a few minor (almost unnecessary) modifications.:D
It was lip-smackin' good! Thank you so much for sharing your mom's version of the recipe. We loved it!

lothi said...

Thanx! yeah this is my first award...& that's me in the photo! Thanx for ur comment and encouragement!

Nags said...

i recently bought cluster beans so maybe i can try it with besan :) thanks for dropping by, Vani!