Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Baingan ka Bharta - Microwave Cooking

Baingan bharta is a favorite in the family. Roasting an eggplant on the stove and the subsequent clean-up is a pain point, at least for me. Microwave cooking makes it easier, though I do miss the smoky flavor of roasted or grilled eggplants. So here comes my second microwave recipe that is non-messy and certainly simpler. The end result was really good. It comes from the same book as before - Nita Mehta's Exotic Celebrations for LG India.

Baingan Bharta

Ingredients:

1 medium eggplant (large variety)
2 tbsp oil
2 medium onions, chopped fine
1" piece ginger, grated
1-2 green chilis
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp dhania powder (coriander powder)
1/4 tsp garam masala powder (curry powder)
1 tomato, chopped
2 tbsp tomato puree
1/4 tsp turmeric
salt to taste

Method:

Wash eggplant and poke all around a few times with a fork, making deep indentations. Place it in a microwave proof plate and nuke for 5 minutes.
After it cools, cut into half and scoop out all the pulp and mash it.
In a microwave proof bowl, put oil, onions, ginger, chillies, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, dhania and garam masala powders and the mashed pulp. Mix well and microwave uncovered for 8 minutes.
Add chopped tomato, tomato puree and salt. Microwave covered for 6 more minutes. Serve hot.

16 comments:

Jayashree said...

Very tempting pic. I gave up making bharta on the stove top right from the time I discovered that it is so much easier to make it in the mw.

AshKuku said...

This certainly helps.... Thanks for sharing... I would love to try as I have never attempted microwave cooking..... :)

Ash....
(http://asha-oceanichope.blogspot.com/)

Cham said...

I do have a electric stove top, wait only spring to grill outside. This one is rescue recipe in winter. Absolutely delicious!

BongMom said...

Is this the Indian MW only ? Here I do it on broil in regular oven.
Happy Holidays

Priya said...

Am gonna make surely baingan bharta through MW..irresistible click..

Kannada Cuisine said...

Microwave from start to finish..this is a winner :)

Kairali sisters said...

I make the bharta in MW too..The pictures makes me drool....

Vani said...

Jay - I'd cooked the eggplant in the microwave once and did the rest on the stove. For some reason, I remember not liking it (maybe it was not evenly cooked). This worked out alright.

Ash - me too. This is only the second time. This recipe is a keeper.

Cham - it was delish. Apart from the lack of smokiness, it tasted great.

San - I'd think this shd work on all microwaves. I tried in the oven once. I did not think it worthwhile to crank up the whole oven for just one eggplant. Broiling shd do the trick, wihout the guilt :)

Priya, Smitha - great recipe. do try guys.

KS - thanks :)

Hema said...

Baingan Ka Bartha.. Still on my to-do list.. I am quite inspired now.. I have bookmarked too.. We came to Chennai Dec 09. I had a real tough time.. Its kinda flu time now.. and when we are back from US, kids tend to fall sick soon.. So watch out Vani.. Good to see that you have settled down.. I am kinda finding it difficult to be regular with blogging.. mostly coz of chores.. Anyways good luck.. have you got your kids admission.. i mean its time now.. the schools here tend to finish the admission by Jan max.. Feel free to contact me anything..

Cheers,
Hema.

sra said...

This sounds so easy, am going to try this. Great pic!

Jisha said...

sounds very easy and yummy...

vanishri bhat said...

hi, first time here and i like your space. you have a nice blog with all the lovely pictures. Baingan ka Bharta looks yum.

Arch said...

Hey Vani, how come you moved to Chennai...I obviously havent visited your blog in a long time...Congratulations on managing 20 posts ;) I am trying to squeeze in 2 more in my blog too, before the year ends...This is a great idea here, saves you the trouble of cleaning the gas stove and burner !!

Santosh Bangar said...

looking tempting
pl collect the award

Vani said...

Hema - will write to you. thanks for the offer to help

Sra - really easy! Do try.

Jisha - thanks :)

Vanishri - welcome! and thanks. did leave you a comment :)

Arch - long story. left you a message. yeah, def easier than stove top cooking :)

Santosh - thank you so much for the award!

Veena Theagarajan said...

IT is in my to do list for long time..My mum does it all the time.. Will try soon.. Nice presentation
http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com