Saturday, April 09, 2011

Avarekalu Akki Tari Uppittu - Upma with Rice Rava and Flat Beans

Who knew school hunting was gonna cause sleepless nights and major stress from all the confusion and indecision?! Little M is going to start K2/UKG from the coming academic year (June 2011). Putting her in a school that she could continue onto grade school would make sense. But guess what? The admission process begins in Sep/Oct of the previous year and we had missed the boat entirely by the time we decided to move to BLR. Then there are various syllabi to choose from - state, CBSE, ICSE, IGCSE, IB, NOS etc. Plus there are different categories of schools - the regular mainstream schools, the academic oriented ones, the international schools, the new age schools, the good old Catholic schools, alternate schools - I'm exhausted just listing them out! Distance/commute time is another major factor. Each time I decide on something, I see/read about something else that makes me pause. I'm sure my parents never stressed out about our schooling. Chose the school close to our house that was reasonably good. We turned out alright (or so I believe!). Incidentally, my mom studied there too. And my her mom would have too, had it been open by then! I now see how good that school was, despite all it's shortcomings - giving importance to not just academics, but to arts and sports as well. I hope I find the right school for M. I hate for her to have to switch schools again next year but at least I know many smaller schools take admission throughout the year for UKG. I should decide something soon.

Update: So I finally made a decision on the school. Taking a chance with a brand new school, whose Principal is an academician with excellent track record. Fingers crossed that the school delivers on it's promising vision and principles.

Here's a traditional Mysore/K'taka recipe from my Mom's kitchen. Rava Upma/uppittu is the more common kind. Akki tari is rice rava or coarsely ground rice and is available in most Indian grocery stores.

Akki Tari Upma

Ingredients:


Akkitari/Rice rave - 1 cup
Avarekalu/Surti papdi lilva/field beans - 1 cup (boiled and cooked in salted water)
Water - 2.5 cups
1 tbsp shredded coconut
Salt to taste

For the tadka:
1 tbsp oil
mustard seeds
1 tsp jeera
1 tsp black peppercorns
2-3 red chilies (or green chilies or both)
1 tsp chana dal
1 tsp urad dal
curry leaves
asafoetida

Method:

Pressure cook (or boil) avarekalu in salted water and keep aside.
Roast the akki tari for a minute and keep aside.
Coarsely crush the jeera and the black pepper.
In a thick bottomed pan, heat oil and do the tadka. Use only half of the crushed jeera/pepper in the tadka.
Add water and bring to a boil.
Add salt, the boiled beans and the remaining jeera/pepper.
Pour in the roasted akki tari.
Mix well. Cover and cook on low until all the water is absorbed.
Mix in the freshly grated coconut.
Serve with a dollop of ghee.

11 comments:

Kannada Cuisine said...

My all time favorite...Had some just yesterday... Good luck with the school hunting.. I for one think that all these hype on international schools, CBSC, ICSE etc is crazy.. why should little kids be burdened with unnecessary cramming.... I hate the system.. My little one 4 years away from school and I have made up my mind to send him to the closed State-syllabus school..

Priya said...

Wonderful looking upma, truly tempting..

Prathibha said...

lovely uppitt....looks really delicious...

indosungod said...

I am just exhausted just hearing you say it. Good Luck for little M and you guys.

Adding the avrakkai seeds to upma is new to me. Karnataka special?

LG said...

Vani,
I think I can get the kind of phase you are going through. Whenever we think of going back to India we get shivers only becuase of house availability and next is school for children. Perhaps your experiance will help me when I shift in ;). And ya, nearest one is the best choice to children and parents. Less stress to both (this is my opinion).
Btw, Akkithari uppittu looks appetising kanri. Avarekaalu innu bartha idya, good!

Cham said...

That is frustrating moment the admission time.
The upma is very classy of kannadigas with avarekaalu, isn't it? Looks yummy!

Jaya said...

Vani,
I have been so busy these days and couldn't find time to get on to net..I saw your post today..I know I was also skeptical of about school admissions for my daughter..but only believe that if the child has the capacity then he/she may rise well in any background..I have put my daughter in a school near to our home..and yeah lets see how well she adjust to the changed environment here..Hope M settles down well there in a new school..and yeah the upma looks delicious .Hugs and smiles

Torviewtoronto said...

this looks delicious wonderful

Vani said...

Smitha - I'm leaning towards IGCSE, though I haven't come across schools that offer that from the early classes, only high school level. I think the state syllabus is just fine too. Only concern for me is the student teacher ratio which tends to be high.

Priya, Pratibha - thanks :)

ISG - Yeah, a K'taka thing :)

LG - true, proximity/travel time is also a big consideration for choosing schools. Avarekalu innu sigaththe but sone iralla.

Cham - yeah, we like our avarekalus and this uppitt is a classic :)

Jaya - good luck with your daughter too!

TT - thanks :)

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

First time here..u hv a wonderful space with mouthwatering recipes n pics...
Visit mine as time permits...
And this looks so yummy n filling..
Sanyukta
http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

Vani said...

Thanks, Sana!