Thursday, April 28, 2011

Tomato Onion Gojju

The best thing about the community we live in is the company Little M has here. Lots of kids around her age and no dearth of things to do in and around the place. A small community like ours also brings with it it's share of problems though. There is this one kid who is a year older than M and tends to bully her every chance she gets. I've spoken with the kid, talked to her mom, have tried to make M avoid her as much as possible, told her ways of dealing with her - everything I can think of. It is fine for a few days and the nasty persona is back. M is far more mature in handling the situation than I am, I think. It really does bother me a lot. Any suggestions on how to handle this? Any such experiences?

P1070548


Ingredients:

5-6 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green chili, chopped
1 tsp saaru powder (or any rasam powder) or to taste
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup water
salt to taste

Tadka:
1 tbsp oil
mustard seeds
methi seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 spring curry leaves

Tomato Onion Gojju

Method:
Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan. Do the tadka.
Add green chili, chopped onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
Add chopped tomatoes and fry for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, saaru powder, sugar and salt. Cover and cook until soft & mushy, about 15-20 minutes.
Check and adjust seasonings.
Serve with rice or chappatis. Makes a nice spread for breads too.

Note: If the tomatoes are not of the sour variety, you can add a bit of tamarind for tartness.
The saaru powder can be substituted with sambar powder too.

13 comments:

lata raja said...

Lovely colour to the gojju. Will await the recipe to the saaru powder. This is superhit combo with dosai

Paaka Shaale said...

The gojju looks very tempting!! You have got me drooling vani :)

Sharmila said...

I don't have kids but I guess you are doing ok if you are talking to M about it. Just keep an eye out so that the bully does not get rough. You never know ... kids are far more resilient and M might come up with her own way of dealing with her.
The gojju looks awesome! You do have a lot of gojju recipes ... shld start trying them out one by one. :-)

Prathibha said...

I love this gojju wid chapati...yummy combo..

Vani said...

Lata di - will do so soon. Realized I have many recipes here with saaru powder and I've not posted it yet!

PS - thanks :)

Sharmila - True. Keeping an eye on the kid or M is important. Segregating M and not talking to her is one thing, it shd not get physical.
Oh yeah, gojjus are my favorite. More gojjus than anything else on my blog, I think :)

Pratibha - perfect combo, I agree :)

Priya said...

Yummy gojju,i never fail to make them atleast once a week,love with rotis..

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have been through the same situation with my daughter when she was 3 yrs old. The bullying child(lets call her A) was less than a year older than my daughter. I encouraged my daughter to walk away from her when she was being bullied, go directly to the A’s Mom and tell her about it(which did not make any difference, I might add) but never to cry in front of the bully. Bullying kids are in some ways jealous of the other child. I never intervened because it rarely got physical. When they both played in my house or in my presence, A behaved exceptionally well so I had no reason to admonish her. A moved after 3 yrs but each year it got better. I think I felt the pain more than my daughter. Your daughter will learn by herself how to deal with different kinds of people and that’s a valuable lesson! Now, my daughter is in high school and friends with A. She only remembers good times with A. So, hang in there and things will get better!

BongMom said...

You are pretty much on track. Some things you can do is, ask the child over for play dates, observe exact nature of bullying, talk to the other child when she is at your home and you can watch over.

Big Sis had a similar situation, I told her to stand up for herself. I would also talk to the other girl when BS complained. The other little girl who was otherwise very nice, would say she thought it was FUN !!! Eventually both are good friends now.

Vani said...

Priya - thanks

Anon - thank you for writing in. You're right - it has upset me more than it has M. I just worry about how it might affect her confidence and her currently fine demeanor. Good to know that your daughter is friends with A now and the bullying has not scarred her in any way. Thanks again. Appreciate it.

San - Good to know they're friends now. Like you and Anon said, watching their interaction will help. This kid also says "I was just joking, Aunty"! I guess the situation needs constantly working on. And now I have hope that it will get better. Thanks, San!

Poornima Krishnan said...

This is such a lovely gojju,so simple yet so full of flavour. I make it all the time now. Thanks!

Poornima Krishnan said...

This is such a lovely gojju,so simple yet so full of flavour. I make it all the time now. Thanks!

Poornima Krishnan said...

This is such a lovely gojju,so simple yet so full of flavour. I make it all the time now. Thanks!

Vani said...

Thanks for taking time to leave me a feedback, Poornima. Glad you like it :) This is my quick go-to curry with chappatis