Tuesday, May 03, 2011

Spicy Asian Noodle Salad

Like with many kids, M likes her pastas and noodles more than rice and rotis. So often I include her favorites in our meals too but "adultize" it for us. This Asian noodle salad is one such dish that I made recently. After boiling the noodles, she gets her version and we get this high-on-the-heat-factor salad, adapted from here .

Spicy Asian Noodle Salad

Ingredients:

200 gm egg noodles (or linguine or udon noodles)
1 Tbsp + 1 tsp oil, split
4 pods of garlic, minced
1 small onion, sliced
1 medium carrot, julienned
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
chopped cilantro for garnish
salt to taste

For the dressing:
1 Tbsp Sriracha sauce
1 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp honey

Method:


Cook the noodles according to the package instructions. Drain, toss in about a tbsp of oil. Keep aside.
In a microwave safe bowl, mix the garlic, onion and carrots in about a tsp of oil. Nuke on high for 2-3 minutes. The carrot would still be undercooked and crunchy. Add to the noodles.
Nuke the peanut butter for 10-15 seconds. Whisk together with the remaining ingredients for the dressing.
To serve, pour the noodles into a salad bowl. Toss in the dressing, making sure the noodles are well coated.
Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped cilantro.

Note: Add the dressing just before serving. I'd made a huge bowl of this noodle salad. When I had it a few hours later, it was hugely disappointing. The kick of the Sriracha and the crunch of the sesame seeds were gone.

13 comments:

Sukanya Ramkumar said...

Lovely looking salad. Nice recipe. Looks so good. YUM!

Satrupa said...

Delicious .... I luv your easy microwave cooking :)

Cheers,
Satrupa

http://satrupa-foodforthought.blogspot.com

Kurinji said...

Delicious.....
kurinjikathambam, Event: HRH-Healthy Summer, Roundup: HRH-Puffedrcie

Prathibha said...

Lovely colorful salad...looks yumm

Priya said...

Got hooked totally with the dressing,inviting salad..

Vani said...

Sukanya, Kurinji, Pratibha - thanks, girls :)

Satrupa - yeah, nuke whenever you can, is my policy these days :)

Priya - it was the dressing that caught my attention too :)

Sharmila said...

Perfect for these hot days! I can have this anytime of the day ... maybe I'll add some crushed toated peanuts as am not too fond of peanut butter. Love the colour Vani! :-)

Cham said...

Adult version sounds perfect for me! Kids are always fond of noodle :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

I love this Salad..but I just substitute crushed peanuts for peanut butter :)

Prathibha said...

Vani...haha...u got it correct..but lemme wait n see who all will guess..so not publishing d comment as of now,will do it after the few guesses....keep that as a secret hah??

Vani said...

Thanks for the comments, all!

aipi said...

Looks fantastic ~ I could devour it all in no time :))
US Masala

filipino girl said...

Thank you for the recipe. I love asian noodles. In fact I am a regular customer of Asian Noodle house. I love the Tokyo Ramen!