Thursday, December 15, 2011

Avarekalu Saaru - Flat Beans Rasam

This past weekend saw me in Mysore heading for my school's first ever alumni meet. Now this school has been around, like, forever and has been home..er..school for three generations in my family. My mom's aunts and uncles went there, as did my mom and all her six siblings and then me and my sis. Plus there have been countless cousins and second cousins, both from mine and my mom's generation that went there. So, yeah, a khandaani parampara, so to speak, to go to this school :) Many of the alumni flew from far and wide to be there. The turnout was huge, with folks who studied there in the 1940s and teachers now long retired from school service also being invited and actually showing up. Met many old classmates and contemporaries, among whom were not one, but two food recipe bloggers. Small world, eh? All in all, a very nostalgic trip down memory lane.

The season for avarekalu or field beans starts here around December. One of things I got back from Mysore was fresh avarekayi. All shelled and stored away, expect more recipes featuring this bean in the coming days :) The dish today is saaru. My mother makes avarekalu saaru in two different ways. Both the methods are detailed below, though the saaru in the picture is from the first method.



Type I:

1 cup avarekalu (boiled)
1 tsp tamarind paste
2 tsp shredded jaggery
salt to taste

For the masala:
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
2-3 dried red chilies
a pinch of hing
1 tbsp coconut
1 tbsp boiled avarekalu

For the tadka:
mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves and ghee (or oil)

Method:
Boil the shelled beans in a pressure cooker.
Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chilies and hing. Let cool. Then grind into a paste along with the remaining masala ingredients.
Heat ghee in a pot and do the tadka. Add the masala, the boiled bean along with 2-3 cups of water and bring to a boil.
Add tamarind, jaggery and salt.
Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Serve with rice.

Type II:


1 cup avarekalu
2 tsp saaru pudi
1 tsp tamarind
2 tsp shredded jaggery
salt to taste

To grind:
2 tsp coconut
2 tsp boiled avarekalu
1 tsp jeera
1/2 tsp raw rice
a pinch of asafoetida

Tadka:
same as type 1.

Method:
Pressure cook the avarekalu and saaru pudi with about 3 cups of water.
Make a paste of the ingredients in the "to grind" section. There is no need to roast the cumin seeds.
In a pot, do the tadka and add the pressure cooked kaalu, the ground masala and 1-2 cups of water. Add more water for a thinner saaru.
Add the tamarind paste, jaggery and salt.
Bring to a boil and let simmer for 3-4 minutes.
Serve over rice with some ghee on top.

18 comments:

Chandrani said...

Rasam looks awesome and healthy

Rumana Rawat said...

Yumm... Looks Delicious:)

Jayashree said...

I've never tried rasam with broad beans in them, Vani. This sounds interesting.

Aarthi said...

awesome rasam

Kannada Cuisine said...

Is it JSS by any chance? did I miss it? Saaru looks fab

Priya said...

Super comforting rasam,makes me drool..

Vani said...

Chandrani, Rumana, Aarthi, Priya - thanks :)

Jay - we make pretty much everything with flat beans when in season - rasam, sambar, upma, rotti, bhath.. you name it, we do it :) This one is esp popular.

Smitha - illa. It was CKC, though I went to a JSS college :)

Prathibha said...

nice n tasty saaru..still we r not getting fresh avarekaalu..:(

Sharmilee! :) said...

Rasam with flat beans sounds interesting....comforting rasam

Ms. S said...

Looks yummy...I've never had this before. Something new to try for this weekend:)

AshKuku said...

SOMETHING I LOVE WAY TOO MUCH.... Way beyond words.... I'm saving it to be a savior sometime for me.... :D

Thanks so much for sharing....

Happy Celebrations!!!

Ash... :)

Cham said...

Ahh, That would have been quiet interesting ur meeting in person, though many hang out virtually these days :)
I love flat beans this one should be tasty with rice!

sra said...

Your alumni meet sounds like a lot of fun. I've never been to one :( I think I've made this saaru ages ago, from a book.

Vani said...

Pratibha - I guess they reach there late, alva? I remember my Bombay aunt carrying back avarekayi to BBY. I think in those days, it would not even be available there.

Sharmilee - it is comfort food now. But hated this when I was a kid. Glad tastes change with time :)

Ms S- welcome! :)

Asha - I can see the love you have for avarekayi :)

Cham - yeah, it was nice. And virtual hangouts are great too, when you can't meet. And you're right - perfect with rice :)

Sra - the alumni thing was good. It takes one really enthu person with the initiative and drive to pull such a thing. Plus of course, a lot of help from others. My first one too :)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

lovely vani....nangu mysore avarekai gypaka barthaidhe naan fav kalu ..

Deeps @ Naughty Curry said...

I love avarekalu, and the rasam looks great! now that the season is here gonna try this out :)

Miri said...

Love Averrakai beans especially with potatoes in a dry curry - this saaru looks delicious.

Rahul Mane said...

Sound good rajama is one of my favorite and the combination of Rasam and rajama sounds yummy.
Mysore Hotel