Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Badanekayi Palya - Eggplant Bhaji

My posts on this blog are rather erratic. All enthu and regular posting for a few weeks, then silence for a few others. Now going through the ebbing phase, I've decided to try to overcome that with a posting marathon of sorts. No, no, not 21 days or even 7. I know my limits :) I'm starting with five posts in five days for now. This also reminds me that two of my 5th blog anniversary giveaways are still pending. Will post about those soon.

So here comes post one. An easy eggplant dry curry with a few ingredients.

Badanekayi Palya

Ingredients:

Eggplants or brinjals - 2 cups, cut into cubes/thick chunks
Palya Pudi (vangibhath powder or Saaru Pudi or any rasam powder), to taste
Coconut scrapings/shreds - 1 tbsp
Salt to taste

For the tadka:
1-2 tbsp oil
Mustard seeds
Urad dal
Asafoetida
Turmeric

Method:


In a thick kadai, heat the oil and make the tadka. Add the eggplants and saute in the oil for 2-3 minutes.
Pour 1/2 a cup of water. Cover and cook on medium for another 3-4 minutes.
Add the pudi and salt. Mix well.
Cover and cook on low for a couple more minutes, until soft.
Finish with coconut shreds.
Serve with rotis or with rice and sambar. Nice accompaniment for curd rice as well.

6 comments:

Arch said...

Hey, you have been missing for a while now ! Was wondering whats up ! Like the addition of coconut here...Waiting to see what's lined up in the marathon :)

Prathibha said...

very simple n delicious curry....looks yumm..am eager 2 see ur 5 day marathon dishes

Jaya said...

Vani,
yeah i do feel same when I am not into blogging much..like eggplants but here in abroad I rarely pick them..they are hopeless :-)..it will be good to see other recipes..hugs and smiles

Vani said...

Arch - yes, I have been. That is why I wanted to do this, sorta trying to push myself and get out of this slump.

Prathy and Jaya - thanks, my dears :)

Jayashree said...

I was wondering where you were :-) Good to see you back, V.

Vani said...

Hi Jay - still here :) Gotta hop over to your blog. Have not left u a comment in a long time. Hope all's well.