Friday, May 25, 2012

Javaher Polow - Persian Jeweled Rice

I was going through the "baby blogging" label on my blog with M, who is now almost 6 and found that I had forgotten most things I'd written earlier about her. She loves hearing about stories from her past. For the last couple years, I've written almost nothing about the kids and I now realize, this is a very good medium to store anecdotes. I find that I have very little patience with watching videos and only rarely do I see old pictures. So basically, I'm saying, be warned for future posts having more kid references :)

Just last week, M launched into a monologue about children. "Amma, I've decided to have only one kid. It gets so difficult with two. If one is happy, the other is not. One will always be troubling the other. And how many time-outs can I give time-outs? I will lose my patience (you know where she got that from!). It will be very difficult for me and the kids." And in a different conversation a few weeks ago, she assured me and her dad that she would never get married and never leave our house. Now these two dots, I'm not gonna connect :)

S turned two last month and he's a handful. Always finding ways to trouble his sister - pulling her hair, blocking her TV view, snatching her things etc. He can string many words together now. Many times, he is hard to understand though and we end up playing "guess the word" game, with M, N and I speculating on what it might be, while S says "no" and patiently repeats the word for the 10th time. We usually get it after a few tries but many words are still un-guessed so far :)

Every once in a while, I go through a phase (which only lasts a day or two or a dish or two, really!) where I go all out and make complicated dishes or take no shortcuts, like I'm known for. For example, I toast and grind cumin and coriander and make fresh garam masala especially for a dish. This dish here was made during one such phase. This recipe has more steps than most recipes here but it isn't as complicated as it looks.

This Persian rice is called Javaher Polow or jeweled rice, with it's many dried fruits and nuts representing various gemstones. I adapted the recipe from here and here. This pretty looking rice is typically served at weddings. The bottom layer of this rice is purposely burnt to form a crust (called tahdig) and is considered a delicacy. Read a funny story about tahdig here.

Javaher Polow

Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked rice (preferably basmati), rinsed and soaked in water for 15 minutes
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1/4 cup each, raisins, slivered almonds and cashews (add other nuts - pista, walnuts etc)
1/4 cup dried barberries (I subbed with dried cranberries)
1 medium sized carrot, peeled and julienned
rind of 1/2 an orange, peeled and cut into thin strips
a few saffron strands, dissolved in a few tbsps of water
1 tbsp sugar
2-3 whole cardamoms
1 small stick of cinnamon
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
a pinch of turmeric
3-4 tbsp oil, divided
salt to taste

Method:

In a pressure cooker, heat 2 tbsp oil. Add a couple whole cardamoms and a small stick of cinnamon and fry for a few seconds. Drain the soaked rice and add to the spice seasoned oil. Sauté for a few seconds. Add 2 cups of water, salt to taste. Close the lid and cook for one whistle.
In the meantime, soak the orange rind strips in cold water for a few minutes. Rinse and repeat for another 2 times. This removes any bitterness that the rind has. Just make sure there isn't any white part of the rind to begin with.
Soak dried cranberries & raisins in water for 5-10 minutes.
In a small pan, combine sugar with about 1/2 a cup of water and bring to a boil. Add the carrot and orange zest strips and let them cook on low for at least 15-20 minutes. It took me almost half an hour to get soft, candied carrots and oranges.
And while the carrots are being candied, heat a tbsp of oil and fry the onion strips until golden brown. Sprinkle some turmeric on top. Add the dried cranberries and raisins and fry for a few minutes.
Toast the almonds and the roughly chopped cashews and any other nuts you are using, in a pan with little or no oil.
In a thick bottomed pan, heat some oil. Spread some rice at the bottom. Sprinkle some saffron water. Spread some carrot-rind mixture. Sprinkle the ground spices on top, then the toasted nuts and onion-raisin-cranberries mixture.
Repeat the layering one more time, ending with rice at the top. Cover tight and cook on low for at least 15 minutes, for all the flavors to combine. Since I used the pressure cooker and the rice was fully cooked, 15 minutes was fine. If the rice has a bit of a crunch left, cook for 40-45 minutes.
Transfer to a serving platter. Garnish with remaining nuts and berries. The whole thing is the presentation and mine does need work. The links I've provided have some amazing looking pics.
This is typically served with chicken, meat balls and yogurt, says T&S. I served with some matar paneer in a thick makhani/butter sauce and yogurt.
Enjoy!

11 comments:

Manasi said...

That does look jeweled. Very pretty.
I used to tell my parents that had no intention of marrying! I guess all little girls do :)

Sharmila said...

The kiddos sound adorable Vani. :-)
The rice reminds me of the Bengali Mishti(sweet) bhaat. Onion, carrots, fruits and dry fruits together ... looks really good. Kinda festive spread. Hope you are doing well. TC.

Happy Cook / Finla said...

Hi hi i love that sh eis nevee leaving home won't we have heard that beofre and told it to our moms etc... Love the look of this pulao looks delicious.

radha said...

Yes, it does look all decked with the raisins. And sure to taste as good.

Pavani said...

It's fun reading about the kids. They are just adorable.
Love the way pulav is spelled and the addition all the dry fruits & nuts -- very festive & colorful.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Rich and yummy! Tell you what..my sunny boy is about to be three this fall and he loves hearing about what he did when he was a baby..

Bong Mom said...

You are exactly like me regarding watching videos or pictures. I too don't have the patience for them and I find the blog a better place to store those anecdotes.

Little M is very mature and I guess understands the work you have to do handling both of them :) Big Sis at 8 does not want to be married but wants kids and keeps asking me if that is possible :)

Vani said...

Manasi - thanks. yeah, I think i did too when I was small :)

Sharmila - thanks. yeah, looks festive indeed

Finla - thanks :)

Radha - those are dried cranberries, though there are golden raisins in there too, outshined by the red berries :)

Pavani - that is the Persian way - its amazing how many words are similar to ours.

KC - so sweet. I'd love to see his pic sometime :)

San - Aww.. so cute, Big Sis S! :)

Arch said...

All little girls say they never want to be married !! It must be fun hearing all this...My son is 6, and all set to get married..He is very worried about who he will marry, because he knows so many girls :)
Nice name and lovely looking pulav...

Vani said...

Arch - aww, he's worried about who to choose. so cute!! :)

Jaya said...

A very sensible lil one that is how I would like to sum up your girl Vani :-)..and how many time outs will time out require! LOL on that..I love pulaos and this one is new to me with all that candied carrots and raisins..sounds very interesting..Take Care and hugs to all of you ..