Monday, July 02, 2012

Ravioli Bites

Italian, mainly pasta, features more often in my house than I can count. But my blog certainly does not reflect that, since this is my first Italian recipe here in almost 6 years of blogging! Most pastas I make involve store bought sauces or quick pasta salads involving olive oil & whatever else I have in hand. Nothing to write about, really. My kids enjoy pastas too and I certainly like it that there are at least a few foods that don't require my cajoling them to eat. And following Jessica Seinfeld's modus operandi in Deceptively Delicious, I sneak in pureed veggies in their pastas and they're none the wiser for that. M likes vegetables but mainly in the raw form. She used to munch on raw capsicum when she was about three, which was too hot even for me. The little fellow is fine with most vegetables as long as they're mashed up and no pesky skin on them to annoy him.

(Update: Turns out I have a frittata here somewhere, so technically this is my second Italian recipe :)

This recipe for ravioli bites is adapted from here and here. I pan fried the ravioli, instead of either baking or deep frying. The serving suggestion is with a spaghetti sauce but these are great just by themselves. I could eat these by the dozens, really!

Ravioli Bites


Ingredients:


1 16 oz packet of cheese-filled ravioli, cooked and drained (about 20)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 tbsp grated parmesan, divided
1/4 cup buttermilk
Olive oil, about 2-3 tbsp

Method:

Heat about a tbsp of oil in a frying pan.
In a bowl or plate, combine bread crumbs, oregano and almost all of the parmesan (reserving some for garnish later).
Dip the cooked ravioli in buttermilk and then dredge in the bread crumbs mixture.
Shallow fry the ravioli in batches, cooking each side for about a minute on high, until browned and crisp.
Sprinkle the remaining parmesan on top and serve with some marinara sauce for dipping.

18 comments:

Sharmila said...

Look at them!! No wonder you feel like having them forever ... they look good crisp and that I guess is the part that tempts most. :-)

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

love the pan fried ravioli!!
Delicious

Priya said...

Wow wat a super attractive bites.

Shama Nagarajan said...

delicious dear

Vani said...

S - yeah, the crispy part for sure. And it helps that it isn't deep fried :)

Thanks, Gowri, Priya and Shama :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

Crispy and yummy

Chandrani said...

Crunchy and delicious bites.

Cuisine Delights
My Monthly Event - Spotlight:Curries/Gravies".

Nagashree said...

Bookmarked it, I know my daughter will love it, will try it soon :-)

Rashmi said...

Hi Vani - How r u? Ravioli bites looks so yum yum and the pic composition is so pleasing!!!!Looks lovely ya!

Rashmi

Anonymous said...

I like this Blog. :)

Hamaree Rasoi said...

No one can eat just one :-) would love to have these small bites

Anonymous said...

Hi! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?

M D said...

Ur ravioli looks fabulous. I have a fondness for raviolis, but have n't made at home though. Delicious!

Vani said...

KC, Chandrani, Nagashree, Deepa, MD - thanks, guys :)

Rashmi - nice to hear from you. We're good, thanks. Left u a msg on your blog.

Anon - thanks :)

Anon#2 - sure you can. thanks :)

Anonymous said...

However, what about this? suppose you wrote a catchier title?

Vani said...

Anon - till I saw your comment and read the title again, I had not realized how it sounds! :) These ravioli do not bite, they sing! :)

Anonymous said...


I can not figure out how do I subscribe for your blog

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Very nice..for kids..