Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Menthya Soppina Bhath - Methi Bhath - Rice with Fenugreek Leaves

I'm on a mission to post a few recipes this week. So no ramblings this time. (Was that a sigh of relief I just heard?! Now, now.. :)




Ingredients:


3 cups cooked rice, cooled and fluffed to separate grains
1 small potato, chopped (optional)
1/4 cup shelled peas (optional)
2 bunches methi leaves, washed and chopped (remove any thick stems)
1/4 tsp tamarind paste
1 heaped tbsp palya pudi (or store bought vangibhath powder, like MTR's)
2 tbsp shredded coconut
1 tsp lemon juice
salt to taste

For the tadka:
2-3 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
2-3 pinches of asafoetida/heeng
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 sprig curry leaves
1-2 green chillies, split (optional)

Method:

Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once they start to pop, add the remaining tadka ingredients and sauté for a few seconds.
Add potatoes, if using, and fry for a couple minutes. Then add the peas (if using) and methi leaves and fry for a minute, then cover and cook until done.
Now stir in the bhath powder, tamarind paste and salt to taste. Cover and cook for a couple more minutes.
Stir in the coconut and switch off stove.
Add the cooled rice to this and mix well until the rice is completely coated with the methi masala.
Taste to adjust seasonings and finish with lemon juice.

12 comments:

Veena Theagarajan said...

My favourite rice.. Nicely done
http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

DEESHA said...

yummy yummy .. its been ages since I ate this .. must ask amma to make it soon

Prathibha said...

I like methi rice 4 its flavor..looks delicious

radha said...

Never added tamarind paste to methi pulao. Will try this recipe.

Chandrani said...

Lovely recipe.


Cuisine Delights
My Monthly Event - Spotlight : "Healthy Snacks"

Priya said...

Super flavourful methi bhath,beautifully done.

Shama Nagarajan said...

Super likes...Join me in Know your Flours-Corn Flour , Fast Food - Pasta event , Know you natural Sweetness - Honey events in my blog

Kannada Cuisine said...

One of my favorite rice dishes ever..

Vani said...

Thanks, guys!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

My fav...best for brunch isnt!!

Sharmila said...

Aww ... no ramblings? I was hoping to hear about lil M & S. :-)
Love the look of that rice ... all fluffy and has my fav too ... peas. And love that paisley too. :-)

nuz said...

Hi,

Thanks for this simple recipe! No grinding.. I liked the idea of adding MTR powder - didn't have vangibhat powder - added sambar powder!! But thanks anyway - it turned out well.