Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Rösti - Pan Fried Breakfast Potatoes

What do you do when the spouse craves for some batata phodis (pan fried potato fritters) and ends up bringing home a 10-lb bag of potatoes?!! Why, you make those phodis, of course. And more phodis and then some aloo tikkis, which then gets turned to a chaat with some chhole. And the usual suspects - aloo methi, aloo gobi and puris with..aloo bhaji, of course! To his credit, the 10lb bag was apparently only a dollar more than the 4lb one. Very logical, right? :) It is a good thing that we all love potatoes (who doesn't?!) but even for us, this is a bit much.. haha :) I still have a few left, which I've boiled and frozen, for future (much into the future, that is) use.  Then I tried various breakfast options - country fried potatoes with onions, green peppers and herbs, latkes (yum!) and the only one I managed to take a picture of, the Swiss Rösti, a rustic form of pan-fried hashbrowns. The recipe is from here and since this wonderful lady did all that research to find her perfect rosti recipe, all I had to do was follow it. On seeing the various other ingredients (like bacon, scallions, cheese, onion, fresh herbs etc) that could be added in a rösti, I included a couple more in mine but I stuck to her basic recipe, except for the goose fat.


Ingredients:

1 large potato
1 tbsp shredded Swiss cheese (or Gruyere)
1 tbsp grated onion
1 tbsp butter
salt and pepper for seasoning

Method:

Parboil the potato and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
Grate the potato. Mine were a bit fine but coarser gratings would be even better.
Mix in the grated onion, cheese and the seasonings.
Heat a heavy bottomed pan and melt a tsp of the butter. Add the seasoned potatoes mixture in an even layer and press them down to flatten them into a flat cake. Cook for 5-6 minutes, until crispy and lightly browned.
Loosen and remove to a plate. Add the remaining butter to the pan and slide back the rosti to cook the other side. Another 5-6 minutes until browned. Serve.

Note: I used an omelette pan and made three smaller rostis from this. Traditionally, it is more like a pie that is cut into wedges and served.

19 comments:

Vijitha said...

That's one delicious version of hashbrowns girl. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Love Rosti! But 10 lbs would have been a lot too much for my family

divya said...

ahaaa...looks absolutely yummy!

Cham said...

LOL, who doesn't love potato? Rosti is a good one.

Veena Theagarajan said...

so yummy.. I love it
great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

Potato, cheese, butter what a mouthwatering combination!!

Nandita Pai Shirali said...

Wow, this was one of my favourites as a kid! been ages since i made it! I am definitely trying ur version this time :) first time here Vani, nice blog :)

Spandana said...

Delicious breakfast :)

Priya said...

Rosti are my lil one's favourite,looks fabulous.

Nagashree said...

10lb bag of potatoes would make some people in my family extremely happy :-), Rosti looks very appetizing.

Sharmila said...

Look at the crust! Too good looking. :-)

Anonymous said...

Happen to be trying to find this and learned much more than anticipated in this article. Thanks.

Shweta in the Kitchen said...

Beina potato fan, I would love to have this crispy & yummy potato as a side for my scrambled egg breakfast

Blog - http://shwetainthekitchen.blogspot.com/
Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/ShwetaintheKitchen

LG said...

1kilo potato lasts more than 3 weeks for us. Not that we don't like them but I avoid them for some reason. Rosti looks inviting! You are back in the US?

Vani said...

Thanks, Vijitha!

KC _ I know what you mean. This was way too much for us too.

Thanks, Divya, Cham, Gauri, Veena, Spandana, Priya, Nags, Sharmila, Shwetha

Nandita - thanks for the comment and welcome to my blog :)

LG - yes, we're baaack :) Long story.

Anonymous said...

I greatly appreciate all the info I've read here. I will spread the word about your blog to other people. Cheers.

M D said...

Rosti is something I have seen in many cookbooks and shows, but never tried it, bcoz of my dislike for eggs in savouries. Urs is sans eggs, so perfect for our palate!

Jayashree said...

This sounds like such a hearty and delicious dish, Vani.

shankari said...

I have heard abt this from a friend of mine. When I have potatoes, there is no cheese or vice versa :)