Thursday, November 15, 2012

A Very South Indian Egg Bhurji - Scrambled Eggs with South Indian Spices

Egg Bhurji is my go-to recipe for a quick-fix side. We almost always have eggs in the fridge and everybody in the house loves eggs. I'm surprised, actually, to find that I don't have my regular egg bhurji recipe here. My usual version is along the lines of this paneer bhurji, though it can be made with any number of spices and seasonings.

The recipe today comes from my Brother-in-law, B. He claims to have trouble boiling water and he would rather drive to a restaurant for a cuppa coffee than make his own, but he does make a killer egg bhurji when the mood hits! With a drink in hand and some music playing in the background, he takes his own sweet time making this dish. But the end result is always worth the wait. It is a spicy South Indian version with hing, rai, curry leaves and rasam powder (you could never go wrong with those!) and has a high heat index with pepper powder, green chilies, red chilli powder as well as the rasam powder. Add this to your "must-try" list, folks. You will thank me later :)


Ingredients:

6 eggs (whisked to a frothy consistency)
2 big onions, chopped fine
4 medium tomatoes, chopped fine
3-4 curry leaves
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
3-4 green chilles, chopped
1/2 tsp each red chilli powder, saaru pudi (rasam powder/Madras curry powder), pepper powder
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
a pinch of asafoetida
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste

Method:

Heat oil, put mustard and cumin seeds and let them pop.
Add hing, green chillies and chopped onions and fry till onions become transparent.
Now add tomatoes and fry until the oil separates. 
Add curry leaves, coriander and the 3 dry powders and fry for 1-2 minutes.
Now add beaten egg and cook on very slow fire and continue mixing thoroughly all the time so that the egg sets in small granules and not big lumps.
Season with salt and serve hot with phulkas, rotis or any bread.

Note: Play around with the quantity of powders. The red chilli powder I use is pretty hot, so 1/2 tsp was plenty. And my saaru pudi has fresh, strong flavours, so 1/2 tsp still got me the notes I wanted. You do want to taste the rasam powder amongst all those flavors and you want the heat too.

10 comments:

Kannada Cuisine said...

Saaru pudi in scrambled egg sounds very interesting...bookmarking it

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

I have some eggs lying around, guess its time to make some bhurji, I like mine spicy with bun pav!
I love the twist with rassam powder.. interesting!

Suman Arthy said...

Will try this during my diet days...

Shama Nagarajan said...

delicious dear

Happy Cook / Finla said...

I always love it when i make eggs like this, and mom always made them when she had unexpected guest and this looks so good too.

Priya said...

If i feel like having eggs, i will go immediately for bhurji,love to have it with anythign.

Lubna Karim said...

That's an nice twist to the regular egg bhurji...looks yum....

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

Fantastic - a lovely simple dish even I can (hopefully) manage!

Vani said...

Than you, all! Scott - oh yes, you can! :)

Shruti J said...

Lovely one!!!

Was looking for something n got redirected to your page :) Lovely space you have... Happy to connect!!! :)

Visit me @ www.cookingwithsj.com