Monday, December 03, 2012

Aloo Tikki Chole Chaat - Potato Croquettes in Spiced Chickpea Curry

I recently came across a book at my local library about coconut oil and its benefits. I always thought coconut oil couldn't be good for you, as it is high in saturated fats and I've often substituted it with other "healthier" oils, especially in Konkani cooking, where it is used extensively. Turns out, coconut oil contains fats which break down more easily than other oils, making it essentially not "stick" as much to your body as other fats do. It actually aids in weight loss because of the way it burns energy and improves metabolism. Who knew?! A couple tablespoons a day helps in blood-sugar and thyroid functions as well. Other benefits come from its anti-fungal, anti-bacterial properties. As has been used and attested in India for centuries, coconut oil is great for skin and hair too. While flipping channels, I saw Dr Oz mentioning some of this and more on his show and he suggested using coconut oil in place of butter, including on toasted bread. Now I'm a big fan of butter (and ghee and heavy cream!) and though I'm forced to curb my enthusiasm for those as I get older (and hopefully, wiser too), I am quite happy to have found a good substitute in coconut oil for butter on toasts and ghee on chutney-pudis. Coconut oil can be used in baked goodies as well - check this.

All this talk about coconut oil has nothing to do with the post today though. I have used canola oil for frying the tikkis here. I'm trying to include more coconut oil in my everyday cooking but I'm not gonna be using it for everything I do. Though this chaat is more an evening snack kinda thing, it is also seen at our dinner table. We try to juice a few times a week and I add the juicer pulp from vegetables to the tikkis for more nutrition. If you are into juicing, here are some of the other things you can do with juicer pulp.





For the Aloo Tikkis (Potato Croquettes)-
Ingredients:
2 large potatoes, boiled and mashed well
1 heaped tbsp bread crumbs
1 tsp chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp green chilies, finely chopped
1 tsp chaat masala
Salt to taste
1/2 cup bread crumbs for dredging
Oil for frying

Mix the first six ingredients and shape them into thick rounds.
Heat a couple tablespoons of oil on a griddle/skillet. Dredge the potato patties in bread crumbs and place in the oil.
After a few minutes when they have crisped and browned, flip to brown the other side. Drizzle more oil around the patties, if required.

For the Chole (Chickpea Curry) -  Same recipe as here minus the coconut milk/cream, plus 1/2 cup tomato puree, 1/2 cup water and 1 tsp chaat masala towards the end.

For the Dates-Tamarind Chutney - Soak half a cup of dates in water for 20 minutes and grind to a smooth paste. Mix 1/2 cup water, ground dates, 1 tbsp tamarind concentrate, 2 tbsp brown sugar (or jaggery), 1 tbsp cumin powder, 1 tsp red chill powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Then simmer and cook until it thickens. Cool and store.

For the Mint Chutney - Grind together with a little water, one small bunch each of mint and cilantro, 1 tsp cumin, 2 green chillies, juice of half a lemon and salt to taste.

To assemble - Spoon some chole in a bowl/plate. Place one or two tikkis/croquettes on top.
Drizzle some mint and tamarind-dates chutney  around. Optional (but I really like) whisk some yogurt and drizzle a wee bit around.
Put some finely chopped onion and cilantro on top. Add some sev (thin fried noodles, available at Indian grocers) too, if you have. And gorge on the aloo tikki chole chaat :)

  

23 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

delicious to snack looks wonderful

divya said...

mouthwatering here...

Veena Theagarajan said...

so tempting.. I love any chat!
http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

prathibha Garre said...

Love this chaat anytime..looks delicious,pass me that bowl now!!!

Lakshmi Venkatesh said...

Looks very delicious.

Aruna Manikandan said...

looks delicious and very tempting :)

Malini said...

Looks yummy and delicious

Arthy Suman said...

I have tasted this once...I love it...

Premalatha Aravindhan said...

yummy chat,luks delicious...

Jayashree said...

Vani....I am seriously drooling over that pic. I absolutely love any kind of chaat and now that I am in the chaat capital of the world, the best thing is that I only need to walk down the road to get some chatpata goodness into me.

Vani said...

Thanks, guys!
Jay - how lovely! enjoy maadi :)

Kannada Cuisine said...

Super yummy!!!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

wow...chaat always mouthwatering dish..i would say anytime..heheheh

Priya said...

Love chaats anytime,such a droolworthy aloo channa chaat,who can resist to this wonderful dish.

LG said...

I am hungry now!!! slurrrp...

Aman said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nagashree said...

Ah, delicious looking plate of chaat.

I have heard/read about the health benefits of coconut oil too but like you haven't main streamed it in my cooking. One of my friends orders cooking grade coconut oil online here and swears by the taste :-)

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Vani can you see me salivating here :-)? You are right some dishes are meant to be cooked in coconut oil. Though i wasn't a big fan of this variety but now kind of using it for some dishes

Jay said...

looks yummm n perfect..;)
Tasty Appetite

Uj said...

Gosh..How I miss coconut oil..It brings me back the memories of my home..My mom cooks only in coconut oil.. Missing it here.. The chat looks amazing! I love chats and can have it at any time!

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

Delicious - I love chickpeas.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Delicious and mouthwatering preparation. Looks delicious and inviting. Would surely try out Akki Roti this weekend.
Deepa

Shruti J said...

Lovely!!! I can have this plate anytime of the day... :)

Send your entries to an event with a giveaway @ cookingwithsj.com/pizza-zone/