Thursday, January 10, 2013

Panchmel Dal - The Five-Lentil Curry and Week 2 of 2013

Hope everyone is having a wonderful new year so far. For weeks now, I have been complaining about the cold. I never expected this part of the country to get into sub-zero temps. But it did and complain I did. Today has been better and it will be getting warmer over the weekend and I sure am getting happier with the weather.

For week 2, my resolutions still seem to be holding good. The theme for this week's Fifty-2 Weeks of 2013 project is the color garnet in photography. Now, garnet has many, many shades and pretty much anything goes as long as it is represented in the pic. That should open up a lot of options, right? But my visual creativity being minimal and my photography and composition skills being basic, this was a tough one for me. I had a few ideas, only to discard them for various reasons. When the idea I liked (and stuck with) finally hit, I have to say I really enjoyed setting up and trying out variations of the theme, including one with me - garnet lipstick, garnet ring and earrings and all- holding the glass of sparkling wine. I finally went with this picture below - far less tacky. On the bright side though, my hands got a long overdue, though quick, manicure because of that :)



Onto the recipe now. Panchmel Dal , as the name denotes, has five different lentils cooked together and fragrantly spiced. This is adapted from Panchmel dal recipes from Chef Sanjeev Kapoor and Priya of Mharo Rajasthan. We had this with plain rice and it was good!


Ingredients:

3 tbsp toor/tuvar dal (split pigeon peas)
3 tbsp urad dal (split black gram)
3 tbsp moong dal or whole moong (whole or split green gram)
3 tbsp chana dal (Bengal gram)
3 tbsp masoor dal or whole masoor (whole or split red lentils)
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp each red chilli powder, garam masala powder
1/2 tsp each turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin powder
1 tsp oil
salt to taste

For the tadka:
1 tbsp ghee
a pinch of hing/asafoetida
1/2 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
3-4 cloves
1 dried red chilli, lightly crushed
1/2 tsp grated ginger
1-2 chopped green chillies

 Method:

If using whole unsplit dals, soak in warm water for 2-3 hours. Soak the remaining dals in water for 30 minutes.Wash and drain.
In a pressure cooker, heat oil. Fry onions until golden. Stir in the tomatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes or until slightly mushy.
Add the powders and the soaked dals. Mix well and stir in 3 cups of water. Cover and cook until soft (it takes 3 whistles in my pressure cooker).
Separately heat ghee in a small pan. Add hing and then the cumin seeds. Once they get darker, add cloves, red chilies, ginger and green chillies. Saute for a few seconds.
Pour this tadka to the cooked dal and season with salt. Serve hot.


20 comments:

lata raja said...

I have been walking around the house seeing 'garnet' everywhere I can find them and clicking, checking, tut-tutting deleting...still trying to get it right.
The dhal looks deliciously simple to make but a sure relish.

Jayashree said...

Nice click, Vani. I'd have loved to see the other one too.....of the garnet lady :-)

sra said...

It's really beautiful!

Nagashree said...

Nice dal recipe. So where is the manicured hands pic :-).

Veena Theagarajan said...

simple yet delicious dhal
http://great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

Finla said...

I had planned to do with a chain i have, wanted to buy those stones they sell int he flowershop but the price was high and i thought why waste money. Love this pic.

Lakshmi Venkatesh said...

Lovely dal.

Shama Nagarajan said...

Super yummy... .

Ongoing events:Fast Food - Poha .
Know your dairy - Milk Events
in my blog.

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Interesting theme ..so you are on a mission :-) I love this Panchmel dal, comfort dal with goes well with rice

Priya said...

Thats a fabulous click, fifty two weeks project sounds simply superb.

Its been a while i had this panchmel dal,inviting;

divya said...

Delicious n healthy dal! !! Drooling clicks!!

runnergirlinthekitchen.blogspot.com said...

Happy New Year Vani!!
The picture is really good (esp with ur manicured hands)
I envy all those who can click such lovely pics, for me its only when food is in front of me I can get all creative but otherwise I dont even pick up the camera!
Nice dal recipe, a big bowl of this dal and hot sticky rice .. slurrrppp

Cham said...

Love how the light reflect on your garnet color, pretty nice click! I even joined the group :)
Dhal is big comfy food for the cold nights!

Poornima Krishnan said...

Delicious recipe. Love your recipes, been trying them especially gojjus.

Priya Sreeram said...

loved the garnet themed pic vani; good one and the dal looks yum !

Vani said...

Lata - same thing happened to me too, di. when i started looking around, i found garnet everywhere!

Jay - i should post that one too, i think :)

Sra - thanks for thinking that. v encouraging

N - lot of demand for that pic, I see. i just may have to post it now :)

Veena, Lakshmi, Shama, Divya, Priya - thanks :)

Finla - good excuse to buy if you like jewelry :) glad you liked the pic.

Deepa - yes, a mission of sorts for sure :)

Gauri - now i'm blushing. i'm really so far away from creative photography. I think all my food pics look similar, esp layout wise. but i'm so glad you like the clicks. Happy new year to you and your family as well.

Cham - i loved that effect on the wine glass too. And the varying shades of red (oops, garnet) on the decanter because of it.

Poornima - thanks for trying and for the comment! i love gojjus. i hope you are liking them too. any particular one stick out for you?

Priya - thanks a lot! :)


M D said...

Fifty-2 Weeks of 2013 project of the color garnet in photography is interesting and so is the click. That dal looks delicious!

Bong Mom said...

At least you had an idea and a pretty one at that. I didn't realize it was the theme until I saw Sra and now your post. FB access from phone is something I am not great at.
I have no clue what garnet I can take a pic of. This might as well be the end of it !!!

Making this dal tomorrow. Thanks

Kannada Cuisine said...

Beautiful pictures...stay warm, the big chill is coming this week

Kichu Khonn said...

Manicured fingers? Where? Where? :-(
I make this dal when I make dal bati. Your snaps are faaaar better than mine. I have been getting mails asking for a proper table layout. :D