Tuesday, February 05, 2013

RIngan Batata nu Shaak - Gujarati Eggplant and Potatoes

A quick update on the resolutions I made in Jan for the month. I did good on most counts. My fitness goals were met. I even increased the strength training portion, due to a new class in my gym that combines yoga and weights. (Don't you love it when you can kill two birds with one stone?! ) On the family time front, it was so-so. We did make an effort to increase our time together but with folks visiting, the family time was more impromptu than scheduled. But overall, still not bad I'd say. Clearing clutter is a constant work-in-progress. I do have a 13-gallon bag worth of clothes and toys for giving away though, like I wanted to do. Meditation, I thought, would be the easiest of the goals for me. But it is the one that I failed in quite miserably.  I did well the first two weeks, then it got very sporadic. I will work on that from now on (see, it helps when you write/talk about things. I'm re-affirming my goals, thanks to this post!).

Coming to the recipe, ever since I made this shaak for the first time many years ago from my friend TS's blog,  I've been making this or variations of this quite often. I love that combination of vegetables in a bhaji and the slight sweetness that the jaggery brings. Today's recipe is an offshoot of the one from TS.



 
Ingredients:

2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
6 small eggplants, diced
1 medium tomato, chopped
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp green chilli-ginger paste
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 heaped tsp cumin-coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp jaggery or brown sugar
1 tbsp lime juice
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp oil
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp chopped cilantro 
salt to taste


Method:

In a pan, heat oil and add cumin. Once they start to pop, add the diced eggplants and potatoes. Saute for 2 minutes.
Add green chilli-ginger paste, turmeric, salt and red chili powder. Stir well to coat. Cover and cook on low for 5 minutes.
Add 1/4 cup water and cook until the potatoes are soft.
Stir in chopped tomato, garlic paste, ground cumin-coriander, lime juice and jaggery. Simmer for another 5-6 minutes, until the tomatoes are cooked.
Remove to a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro. Serve with rotis/phulkas.

15 comments:

Bong Mom said...

Vani

You did very good with the resolutions I must say. Yoga + weights, wow. I need to something to strengthen my legs and back but the classes at the local gym get over by the time I even mange to reach there :(

This is from Trupti's blog no ? The gujarati babysitter made a version of this recently but I don't think hers was as good as this. Should try again myself

Vani said...

San - yes, this is a variation of Trupti's shaak, though I cannot find her original post on her blog anymore. Oh, I need to work on my legs, arms too. The gym has all these new classes, that combine yoga with other things like the athletic yoga today - I sweat almost as much as in a zumba class! I can't do half the things there though, still gotta work on that stamina/strength thing.

Vani said...

And a Gujju babysitter who cooks too? envy, envy..

divya said...

looks beautiful and absolutely addictive.

Uma said...

this shaak is my kind.. simple yet flavorful!

Veena Theagarajan said...

yummy and healthy veg

Arthy Suman said...

Mouth-watering dish...would love to have this with plain rice...yummy...

lata raja said...

Keep it up Vani and I am glad for you.
i love the eggplant-potato-tomatoes combination. Bookmarked the recipe.

Shama Nagarajan said...

SUPER yummy...
Ongoing event:
FAST FOOD EVENT -MUSHROOM
in my blog.

Vani said...

Thanks, all

Kichu Khonn said...

Wow! Guess I'll start making resolutions now. :-)
This looks just like the way I love dry dishes ... slightly mushy mushy. :-)

Blogs said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

petitchef.com

Vani said...

S - good time to make resolutions :)

Petitchef - I'm already in :)

Shruti J said...

Hey... came across your blog while surfing through food pages! Happy to connect... :)

Visit me @ www.cookingwithsj.com or www.facebook.com/cookingwithsj :)

kingkong said...

thanks ya infonya !!!

www.bisnistiket.co.id