Monday, March 18, 2013

Fried Green Tomatoes

He had the most adorable eyes - huge, doe-like, innocent, alluring eyes that would make anyone want to take him home to their moms while declaring their everlasting love for him. He was one irresistible charmer who made his way into my heart with just one look into his eyes. He was in my thoughts, day and night. So that is what I did - took him home to my mom and declared my love for him, that is. She was not at all happy with me walking into the house with a stranger and asking if I could keep him with me forever. Of course, she said 'no' but gave me some hope when she said I could feed him every evening. That was my first time falling in love. I was all of five and he was the cutest little pup ever!
This goes to this week's theme, "My First Time" in the Project 52 series.

Coming to the recipe, fried green tomatoes are a southern (US, that is) favorite. Folks here fry the heck out of anything and everything, I think. I'm not complaining, coz I like to eat anything and everything deep fried. This recipe is adapted from the Neelys show on Food Network. I've added cornmeal though, which according to a Southerner, is a must-have in any decent fried green tomato recipe. I have pan fried these, instead of deep frying them.



Ingredients:

2 large green tomatoes
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2  eggs
1 tbsp buttermilk or milk
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 tsp red chilli/cayenne powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 cup oil for pan frying
salt and pepper for seasoning

Method:

Cut unpeeled green tomatoes into 1/3 inch slices. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Keep aside.
In a shallow bowl, combine flour and garlic. In another beat egg and milk/buttermilk together. In a third shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs, cornmeal, cayenne and paprika.
Heat half the oil in a skillet. Dredge tomatoes in the flour mix, then dip in the egg mix and lastly through the bread crumbs-cornmeal mix.
Place the dredged slices in the hot oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned.
Drain on paper towels and serve with Tabasco or Louisiana Hot sauce.

7 comments:

Priya Suresh said...

Fantastic fried green tomatoes, i hardly get green tomatoes, wonderfully done.

divya said...

looks fantastic... beautiful presentation...

prathibha Garre said...

They look grogeous..never tried

Shama Nagarajan said...

yummy recipe..thanks for sharing

Ongoing event:
Celebrate - Easter
in my blog.

Nagashree said...

Fried tomatoes look very inviting Vani, do you know if the egg is a must-have? I love green tomatoes and waiting for the markets to stock up, will try this.

Vani said...

Thanks, Priya, Divya, Pratibha, Shama

N - egg just helps in binding. You could skip it too. Just use the buttermilk instead.

Kyra M. said...

I'd like to invite you to join the CookEatShare Author Network. I really enjoy your blog and I think the over 1 million unique montly visitors to CookEatShare.com will too.

By joining our Author Network, your blog posts will be indexed and users will be guided to your actual blog when searching your recipes or profile.

The service is free and easy to sign up for. Simply visit www.cookeatshare.com/blogs/apply or contact me at Kyra@cookeatshare.com. You'll get a unique link to claim and customize your profile. We look forward having you in our network!