Monday, September 30, 2013

Pajeon or Pa Jun - Korean Scallion Pancakes

I avoid buying all-purpose flour or maida because, well, one is for the nutrition element (or it's lack thereof) and second, I hardly ever feel the need to use it. I don't bake nor into sweet dishes (so no cookies, muffins, cakes and the sort), and any recipe that requires maida, I try to use wheat flour instead (like instant dosas) or pancake mix (for deep fried stuff). The first time I bought it many years ago was when I was inspired to make bhature for chhole and pizza dough from scratch. After that, the flour sat around for so long that I had to throw it out! This is only the second time I bought APF since then, that too because Miss M was all inspired to make cupcakes after watching some Howdini videos for kids. By the time I got the flour a few weeks later, her interest in it was lost (and I wasn't gonna complain about that!), so here I am left with a pretty big bag of flour. I'm determined not to throw it out this time. So expect some recipes with APF here in the next few months :)

Scallion pancakes make for a great appetizer. The Chinese version of Scallion Pancakes is more like our paratha, where the dough is thick and is rolled out and pan fried. The Korean version is made with a thick batter, poured into a pan and fried until crisp. The basic version, which is what I have posted here, has just scallions and flour. Variations to this can be made with the addition of kimchi or shrimp.



Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour/maida (or pancake mix)
1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal (or spring onions)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
1.5 cups cold water
Salt to taste
Oil for cooking

Method:

Mix together all the ingredients, except the scallions and oil. Whisk to a smooth batter. The batter should be thick, almost like pancake batter.
Heat about a tbsp of oil in a skillet. Place some of the chopped scallions and distribute evenly in the pan.
Pour the batter on top, ensuring all the scallions are covered. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
Flip to cook the other side, another 3 minutes, adding some oil around the edges.
Remove and allow to cool.
Chop into bite-sized pieces and serve with dipping sauce.

Variations: Add kimchi or shrimp along with scallions.

For the dipping sauce, I made a quick version of my Ginger-Honey Sauce by combining soy sauce, vinegar, sambal oelek and honey.

5 comments:

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Very inviting and tasty looking pancakes. Wonderfully prepared.
Deepa

Veena Theagarajan said...

my kids fav!

Nagashree said...

Hey, I am going to try this. My APF usage is also very low but I bring home the flour anyway planning to try all those cool bake recipes :-)

Linda said...

Oh, I love pajeon in any way shape or form, and this looks great Vani! You may know already that you can freeze flour and it keeps a long long time. Or you could just throw in the towel and bake a cake ;)

Vani said...

Deepa, Veena - thanks, girls :)

N - oh good! Looking forward to your posts!

Linda - I had not thought of freezing flour! Now I don't have to worry about finishing off that bag! And that cake - not happening :)