Friday, September 06, 2013

Vermicelli Upma

Breakfast is the first category I check when I see a new blog. Yet, my breakfast tag will yield very few posts for the 7 years of blogging! Mainly because I make breakfast stuff for dinner and that is a hectic time to even think of taking pictures, not to forget lighting issues. Weekends are not conducive for blogging either, with the kids around. The other reason is that I think dishes like upma and poha are too basic to make a post of. And there are tons of those recipes out there for anyone who wants to look. But then the latter applies to any dish, so I need not be food blogging at all! I realize that what I call basic or boring recipes might in fact be something someone might particularly be interested in. And every cook tends to make each dish his/her own in some way.

So here is my basic vermicelli upma, no onions even but I like this version the best! And not just because it is quick to make, especially with pre-roasted vermicelli (love that!). It tastes amazing too (I use a LOT of coconut). You can add chopped onions, tomatoes, garlic to this upma or turn it to a vermicelli khara bhath with mixed vegetables & bhath masala or into a pulao.



Ingredients:

1 cup vermicelli, roasted
1/2 cup grated coconut (fresh, frozen or dry)
1 heaped tsp grated ginger (don't skip this!)
3-4 green chilies, slit
7-8 curry leaves
1 tbsp chopped cilantro, divided
3/4 tsp sugar (optional)
1.5 cups water
salt to taste

For the tadka:
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal

Method:

Roast vermicelli on low heat with a little bit of ghee or oil, until lightly brown. Keep aside. Or if like me, you use pre-roasted vermicelli, you can skip this step.
Heat oil in a pan. When hot, add mustard seeds. Add urad dal only after the mustard seeds start popping and fry for 10 seconds.
Add slit green chilies, curry leaves, ginger and half the cilantro. Stir for 10-15 seconds and add water.
Bring water to a boil and add sugar and season with salt.
Now pour in the roasted vermicelli, stirring for a few minutes. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until almost dry, about 10 minutes.
Mix in the grated coconut and cook uncovered for another 2-3 minutes until completely dry.
Garnish with cilantro and serve!

5 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

upma looks fabulous

Veena Theagarajan said...

upma looks yummy

Smitha Kalluraya said...

Shavige upittu .. nice explanation..
do visit my site

Linda said...

Hooray and thanks, please post more 'basic recipes' for me :):) I don't eat french toast and bagels and omelettes for b'fast. If I eat b'fast at all, it's something savory (maybe one reason I identify with Indian cuisine?). I haven't tried vermicelli upma -- now I will.

Poha, you said? ;)

Vani said...

Thanks Akilha and Veena!

Smitha - welcome! Will visit you soon

Linda - Poha post coming up soon then :)