Friday, October 25, 2013

Basic Uppittu - How to make Basic Upma (Semolina Porridge)

For the longest time, my upma would be a hit-or-miss kinda thing. With the texture, I mean. It is difficult to go wrong with the taste. It usually turned mushy. When I first started cooking, I used to have trouble with lumps in the upma, till I started using a whisk. A whisk is not required really. It's just a matter of continuously stirring while mixing water and semolina, but you live and learn eventually!

So here is the basic upma (or uppittu, as we Kannadigas call it) with no frills. Roasted semolina, tadka (tempering oil), boiling water and seasoning. That's it! You can add onions, tomatoes, garlic, ginger, spices, vegetables etc to this. At restaurants in Bangalore, they serve a jazzed up version of this called the kharabhath. It is loaded with oil and ghee and usually includes everything I mentioned in the previous statement. That is oh-so-darn-GOOD! And to think that for the longest time in my life (even when in my 20s) I hated kharabhath and uppit - such a loss!



Ingredients:

Semolina/Rava - 1 cup
1 tbsp shredded coconut
3-4 green chilies, slit or chopped
7-8 curry leaves
1 tsp sugar (optional)
1 tbsp lime juice (optional)
1 tsp ghee (optional)
1.5 cups water
Salt to taste

Tempering:
2 tbsp oil
3/4 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp urad dal

Method:

Dry roast rava/semolia on low flame, until fragrant. Keep aside.
Heat oil and add mustard seeds. Once they crackle, add the urad dal and fry for 10 seconds
Add slit green chilies and curry leaves and saute for another 10 seconds.
Pour water and let it come to a boil. To the boiling water, add salt and mix.
Slowly stir in the roasted rava/semolina to the water, making sure it is stirred continuously. A whisk works well here too!
Once it starts to dry, add ghee, sugar, lime juice (if using) and coconut.
Cover and cook on low for 5-8 minutes until completely dry.
Serve hot.

9 comments:

Linda said...

It's been awhile since I made upma -- yours looks so lovely in that sunlit pic! :) Kharabhath sounds like it needs to be tried once in life, at least ;)

Shama Nagarajan said...

perfectly made...tempting

teja ul said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Priya Suresh said...

Love to start my day with this beautiful dish, filling breakfast.

Diamond and Pearl said...

I have always been a huge upma fan, I like them in any form. I have never been to Bangalore and your descriptions of restaurant offerings of Kannada cuisine (similar to TN cuisine in many ways imho) always makes me long for a visit!

Poornima Krishnan said...

Same here,used to hate up a. Now I love it with ghee and everything... Nice post.

Poornima Krishnan said...

Same here,used to hate up a. Now I love it with ghee and everything... Nice post.

Poornima Krishnan said...

Oops sorry I mean upma....and don't know why it got twice posted. Sorry!

Vani said...

Linda - yes, it must. Especially at certain restaurants in Bangalore.

Thanks, Shama, Poornima and Priya

Bharathy - yeah, very similar though with subtle differences.

Poornima - good that I ahve company :)