Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sev Tamatar/Sev Tameta nu Shaak - Fried Noodles in Spicy Tomato Sauce

You know about my love for all food Gujarati, right? The first time I had Gujarati food was at Sukh Sagar in Bangalore when I was about 10. Sukh Sagar was a multi-storeyed, multi-cuisine restaurant in the crowded Majestic area and back then, was very popular. It had one floor dedicated to Gujarati cuisine, though it would open only for dinner. It was a thali meal kinda set-up, with waiters serving one dish after another and coming back to ask if we wanted seconds or even thirds! I did not even know the names of dishes that were being served back then but I loved them all! I'd always look forward to going back there. The only home-made Gujju dish was my Mom's dhoklas, which were made from scratch (you know, the soaking- grinding kind. I make them the quick way, of course - besan or sooji and a hurray for Eno!). Whenever she made them, it was an event of sorts, at least for me. My job then was to grease the thalis/vessels that they were cooked in and wait impatiently for the dhokla to get cooked. Yeah, I had it pretty easy back then and did not even know it! Anyway, once they were done, unmolded and tadka-fied, after relishing them, my other job was to scrape any stuck dhokla from the vessels, so it'd make for easy clean-up. Of course, I'd eat that too!

Food blogging opened up a whole new word of authentic Gujarati dishes for me, that went beyond dhoklas and khandvis. Thanks to Pooja, TS and Rooma (her blog is shut down, alas!), my kitchen saw a lot of authentic Gujju dishes from various regions.

Sev Tameta nu Shaak is from the Kathiyawad region and is on the spicier side. The first I heard of this dish was definitely from one of their blogs 6-7 years ago. A friend tells me this is popular in Rajasthan as well, though minus the sugar and with thicker sev like ganthiya, as Sev Tamatar ki Sabzi. They are eaten as a side with chappatis, though I love adding some fresh sev and chopped raw onions on top and having it as is.



Ingredients:

4 large tomatoes (chopped small)
1 tbsp finely chopped or minced onion
3 pods garlic, crushed and chopped fine
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp jeera powder
1 tsp red chilli powder (or to taste)
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup medium thick sev (available at Indian grocers)
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
4-5 methi dana/fenugreek (optional)
1 tbsp cooking oil
salt to taste

Method:

Heat the oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Once they pop, add cumin and fenugreek seeds, if using.
Add minced onion and chopped garlic and saute until translucent.
Add tomatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes.
Add the powders, salt, sugar and 1/2 a cup of water. Cover and cook on low until the tomatoes are completely mushy.
Mix in the sev and let cook for a couple minutes.
Pour to a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro
Serve hot with tawa rotis or chappatis.

6 comments:

Torviewtoronto said...

deliciously done looks wonderful

Veena Theagarajan said...

perfect noodle.. Looks spicy

Priya Suresh said...

Sev tamatar looks seriously very tempting, i can have it just like a snack.

Nagashree said...

I remember Sukh sagar and the multiple floor though I have not eaten at the Majestic area branch. Sev Tamatar looks delicious.

Linda said...

How perfectly simple and delicious this sounds! I loved the description of the 'thali place' -- makes me miss that authentic Indian veg restaurant I discovered just before I moved from Mass. They had regional dinners each week and boy, were they good :)

Vani said...

Thank you Akhila, Veena and Priya!

N - which location was this?

Linda - oh man, regional dinners weekly - sounds so good! We don't have good Indian here - many restaurants doing the same old, same old.