Thursday, January 30, 2014

Chickpeas Curry with Dill Leaves

After a “sabbatical” that lasted over 4 years, I started work again. It’s great to be back in the employment bandwagon. I am yet to get my bearings in managing time and kids’ activities though. I also want to stay on track with my fitness goals and I have to include that in the mix as well. Needless to say, life is a bit crazy right now and I hope to get a stronger grip of things by the next week or two.

Here’s a quick chickpea curry with dill leaves. Dill is an acquired taste. I happen to love it and use it in garnishes, as a herb and more often than not, like a regular green/veggie.



Ingredients:

1 16oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 small bunch dill leaves, cleaned and chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp cayenne/red chili powder (or to taste)
1 tsp curry powder/garam masala/chole masala
½ tsp sugar
¼ cup water
1 tbsp cooking oil
Salt to taste

Method:

Heat oil and add chopped garlic. After a few seconds, add chopped onion and fry until light brown.
Add the chopped dill and sauté until wilted.
Stir in chopped tomatoes and cook until slightly mushy
Add chickpeas, salt, cumin, coriander and cayenne and water. Mix well and cook for 10 minutes.
Finish with curry powder/garam masala.

4 comments:

Veena Theagarajan said...

tasty gravy

Sushma Madhuchandra said...

never tried mixing dill & channa. An interesting combo!

Torviewtoronto said...

looks wonderful

Lakshmi Grandhim said...

I too have not tried chickpeas and dill. I will keep this in mind when I soak chickpeas next time. Good one!