Thursday, January 09, 2014

Sanna Eerulli Gojju - Tangy Pearl Onion Curry

Happy 2014, folks! Hope you all had a great start to the new year and may it continue throughout.

In direct contrast to 2013 when I was all enthu to post every week, this year I know I will not be able to do so. But I plan to be posting something- recipes, pictures, rants, stories, anecdotes- however sporadic.

Gojjus are an all-time favorite of mine. The spouse thinks I turn all veggies and fruits into gojjus! I mostly do.. haha :) This particular one made with pearl onions tastes amazing. I made this for the first time though. This particular recipe is from my aunt in NJ. When I first moved to the US about 14 years ago, it was winter time and I felt really lost. It used to be cold and dreary, I did not have a license yet to drive, there were no people to be seen outside and to top it all, the spouse was very busy at work and would work late hours. Aunt M and my two cousins-in-law were my lifeline. I hardly knew any cooking back then and Aunt M was my go-to person for comfort food and recipes. Both she and my Uncle N are amazing cooks. They are privy to my disasters too (carrot huli with no tamarind, soggy puris that refused to puff up, setting off the smoke alarm while experimenting with corn kebabs, the tadka oil that caught fire etc.)  Of course, I'd never miss an opportunity to feel like I was back at my mom's house, enjoying their impeccable hospitality and devouring Aunt M's delicious masala dosas, menasina anna (pepper rice, recipe coming up soon), bendekayi gojju (okra curry), uddina kadabu with chutney...sigh, I'm drooling even as I type this!

Back to the gojju, try once and you will be hooked. Pearl onions are a pain to peel. I've used frozen peeled white pearl onions from the regular grocery store here. The ones at the Indian store had quite a bit of leftover skin, so check before using those.




Ingredients:

1 8oz bag frozen pearl onions (about 1.5 cups peeled fresh pearl onions)
1 heaped tbsp chopped white onion
3/4 tsp tamarind concentrate (large lemon sized tamarind, soaked and strained)
2 tsp shredded jaggery/brown sugar
Salt to taste

For the tadka: 2 tsp cooking oil, 3/4 tsp mustard seeds, a few pinches asafoetida

For the masala:
2 tsp urad dal
1/2 tsp methi seeds
1/2 tsp jeera/cumin
1 tsp sesame
1/4 cup grated coconut
3-4 dried red chilies

Method:

If using frozen pearl onions, microwave for 2 minutes just to thaw it a bit.
Dry roast the masala ingredients in the order above. Let cool completely and grind to a paste with some water. Keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let them pop.
Add the chopped white onion and fry for a few seconds. Add the thawed or fresh pearl onions and saute for 4-5 minutes n medium-low heat until lightly golden.
Add the ground masala, jaggery, tamarind, salt and 1/2 a cup of water.
Mix well. Cover and cook on medium-low for 10-12 minutes, stirring in between,
Serve hot with rice and ghee. This goes well with tawa rotis too.

5 comments:

Vanamala Hebbar said...

I too love sanna eruli that is very tasty
Goju looks different version nice will try some day BTW happy new year

Poornima Krishnan said...

This is also most like the mallu theeyal. Yum...

Uj said...

I love sanna eerulli.. but end up making sambar with it.. Have never tried anything else with this. Will bookmark and try it next time I get these.. Peeling them is a pain so will look for frozen ones.. Did you find any difference between frozen and fresh?.tastewise

Kannada Cuisine said...

Sambar errulli! slurp.. love it

Vani said...

Thanks, Vanamala. Happy new year to you and your family as well.

Poornima - I love ulli theeyal. Do you have a good recipe for that?

Uj - The yellow ones, I found no difference. But with the red ones, I think fresh is better.

KC - :)