Sunday, March 02, 2014

Cheese Tortellini in Marinara Sauce


I'm all for any help I can get when it comes to cooking and generally use store bought sauces in Italian cooking. Makes my life easy, not just cooking-wise but also because any pasta with any sauce works for the kids too. No fuss, plates cleaned out each time. And make it a pasta filled with cheese, and you have even the adults not fussing and cleaning out our plates! Every once in a while, especially when I have little people over, I make a big batch of sauce and refrigerate it. The sauce was made one of those times though the tortellini was a weeknight dinner (which also explains the bad lighting). The Indian in me likes to saute some onion each time and add some crushed pepper in my pasta but feel free to skip both. Another brand of crushed tomatoes I once used came out too chunky. Tuttorusso works well in this. And do try Giada's marinara recipe with carrots. It's the best, though because of the chunkiness that carrots add, I need to use a blender after to make it work for the kids.



Ingredients:

1 lb cheese tortellini ( I used the fresh cheese and roasted garlic tortellini from Buitoni)
2 cups marinara sauce (recipe below or store bought)
1 tbsp minced onion
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
2 tsp parmesan, powdered or grated
1 tsp chopped parsley

Method:

Cook tortellini according to package instructions. Drain and keep aside.
Heat oil and saute onion until golden, about 2 minutes.
Stir in the marinara sauce and bring to a boil.
Add tortellini and dried Italian seasoning and let stand 5 minutes.
Sprinkle parmesan and chopped parsley and serve.

For the Marinara Sauce:
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped fine
1 large can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes (I use Tuttorusso)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 tsp pepper
salt to taste
\
In a medium pot, heat oil and saute garlic for a few seconds. Add crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.

2 comments:

Kichu Khonn said...

Fuss free it is. I too buy the sauces off the shelves ... so many choices these days. And yes, love frying the onions first, too, but never used bay leaf.

Vani said...

S- life is so much simpler with some help with premade sauces, right? I forgot to add that we remove the bay leaf after. Will edit. And yes, it makes a diff - do try next time