Monday, March 17, 2014

Huli Avalakki


As expected, life got busier since I started working. Cooking and posting have taken a backseat for now. Fitness is still not happening. It is all about getting the day done, some weekend cooking and a little help from a nice lady once in a while.

This dish called “Huli Avalakki” literally means sour beaten rice/poha. It is a spicy and tangy dish, with a hint of sweetness from shredded jaggery. This is a pretty quick, non-fussy recipe – great for a quick weeknight dinner. My Mom would make Huli Avalakki for supper on the festival of Shiva Rathri, along with thup-balehannu (ripe bananas with lots of freshly shredded coconut, jaggery, and spiced with cardamom) and kosambari . So on Shiva Rathri this year (which was sometime last month) I made this dish along with thup-balehannu. This here is the quickest version. There's another one with ground powder added to this, which I hope to post sometime. I did not have curry leaves and only a little urad dal and used pre-roasted peanuts, plus I took this pic at night. So I will need to update the picture sometime with the works.




Ingredients:

2 cups avalakki/poha/beaten rice, coarsely powdered
1 heaped tsp tamarind concentrate (or pulp from about a big lemon sized tamarind)
2 tbsp brown sugar/jaggery
1 tbsp Saaru Pudi/ rasam powder (or more, according to taste)
1 tbsp copra shreds
Salt to taste

For the tadka:
3-4 tbsp oil (I’ve used canola)
2 tsp mustard seeds
1/5 cup peanuts
1 tsp urad dal
1 sprig curry leaves

Method:

Dissolve tamarind paste (or pulp), jaggery, rasam powder and salt in 3 cups of water.
Mix in the coarsely powdered poha to this and let sit for at least 10 mins for it to absorb the water and soften. Fluff with a fork and keep aside.
In the meantime, heat oil in a pan and do the tadka. Add mustard seeds first and allow them to pop. Then add peanuts and urad and fry until slightly brown. Then add the curry leaves.
Mix in the soaked poha and dry coconut and let it just heat through. Switch off stove.
Taste to adjust the seasonings and serve warm or at room temperature.

3 comments:

Vanamala Hebbar said...

very nice...i too make this for bfast..

mango dash said...

Hey, very nice site. I came across this on Google, and I am stoked that I did. I will definitely be coming back here more often. Wish I could add to the conversation and bring a bit more to the table,but am just taking in as much info as I can at the moment. Thanks for sharing.

mango drinks manufacturers

Vani said...

Vanamala - thanks. I make them only on occasion..we all love it. SHould make more often